Home Artists Looking For Work

Just got offered a freelance job! NEED HELP NAMING MY PRICE!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
rorozilla polycounter lvl 6
hey guys! im kinda new in the 3D working world! I just got approached for a Freelance character modelling job, and was asked to name my price, what is a decent price for a low poly modelling and texturing, as well as concepting?

I wouldn't want to sell my self short or scare them away with a crazy price!

Hope this is the right place to ask this!

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Replies

• low odor
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Search function generally isn't too helpful when I was trying to see how much I should charge. People saying "charge however much you need to survive" is about the most useless advice ever.

Rorozilla if you're looking for numbers, I'm fresh out of school and charge 20-25$ (Canadian) an hour depending on the type of work. I wouldn't go lower than 20/hr. I live in BC and minimum wage is 10. I worked an office job for awhile and was payed 15/hr.

Once you have more experience and AAA titles in your portfolio you can start charging loads more. 50/75/100 an hour. You really have to create a name for yourself though and get well known throughout the 3D world. People will pay for quality!
  • rorozilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heheh sorry Low Odor! i was kinda desperat and it made me kinda dump! hehehe Your help was very appreciated!

I have an other question though... how do you know if a offer is legit and is not some sort of scam?

I almost got caught up with that Heart Break person a couple of months ago, and quickly took my distances because i looked her up and saw she or he was just gonna be trouble.

If the person that contacted me didn't provide a web site, and a search of their name or compagnie dosent show anything, is there a possibility it could be a bad idea to do business with them?
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "If the person that contacted me didn't provide a web site, and a search of their name or compagnie dosent show anything, is there a possibility it could be a bad idea to do business with them?"

Yes. Yes yes and more yes. However, you could always work on a per asset thing, so if they don't end up paying you for the first asset, then you didn't really lose anything.
  • rorozilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much Selaznog! That is really good advice! i had the 20$ price in mind, so that's good!

Is there anything fancy i should know about working with a compagnie that is overseas? i looked their minimal wage online, and it is about 300$ canadian A MOUNTH, which doesn't makes much sens to me!

i mean, i wouldn't lower my price, but could they be expecting me to want to be payed by there standards? i wouldn't when them to have a heart attack when they see the price im asking.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yah that's really low. Whatever you do dont go lower than 20. Living is expensive, and companies need to understand that. If they cant afford you then they cant afford you, and you can keep working on your portfolio and looking for more work. It's out there!
  • rorozilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome! thank you so much Selaznog! you are a jem!!
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    the thread I posted: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showt...ghlight=charge has some great advice well beyond "charge however much you need to survive"...brought to you by the polycount search function

Base how much you charge on cost. 20$ an hour? How much is that after taxes? How much is that after software, rent..etc..

regardless of your cost, it all comes down to what people are willing to pay you

If it seems shady, ask for half up front...if they ask why, be frank about it. They are asking you to take a risk with your time and money. If they are not willing to do the same , move on

I dig the pirate Chick on your deviantart..cool work
  • JZAcH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZAcH polycounter lvl 12
    You could always do this.. make one asset.. make a reel.. send him the video link.. after the pay comes mail him the asset. That is one way of making sure that you don't get scammed. If the pay doesnt then you have one more asset to add to your portfolio. Either way you don't lose much.
    If you ask me.. 7-10$ per hour would be an ideal rate for working as freelance. It doesnt make it so damn cheap such that you wont make enough and it wont be too expensive either..
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7-10$ an hour? Where are you from? That's below minimum wage in Canada; you'd make more money working at McDonalds.
  • rorozilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7- 10$ canadian? that's below or equal to minimal wage! it seems way to little! did you ever work for that much?
  • JZAcH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZAcH polycounter lvl 12
    That was the rate that was offered to me by someone who was doing free time work.. alright so now we have a minimal wage line XD (frankly even i want to know what an ideal rate would be for a modeler) .. So bump it up to like maybe 55$ then? My concept artist works for 35$ / hour (Full time- I just came to think about it) .. or maybe 60$..
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    probably should have posted this in general discussion, this is meant to be a place to advertise for freelance people or sell yourself as a freelancer, posting it here might just scare away other potential employers for youself.

But in any case here in the UK there is a going rate for certain kind of work anyhting from 75 quid a day for beginners to 250 as day for seasoned professionals.
    I tend to work for recognised clients as its easy to get scammmed. no website, no reputation, think twice then run:)
  • rorozilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot Ruz! I really hope i didn't do a Freelance Faux-Pas by posting here! now I'm a little scared! Ill make sure to post in the general discussion from now on!

so the price you are saying are in Euro i presume?

Thanks a bunch!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    my prices were quoted in pounds sterling rorozilla.its jsut a guide though, best to do your own research:)