Home Technical Talk

Making a 3D Sidescroller

Hey polycount!

I've recently been gathering ideas about making a 3D sidescroller game. I have many ideas for it, and will probably be looking for a 3d-modeller and graphics designer in the near future.

My question is, how would you start? Would you use an engine like UDK or CryEngine to put it all together? What sort of challenges can I expect? etc...

Any sort of feedback/suggestion helps!

Thanks,
Feriscool.

Replies

• Ashaman73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 polycounter lvl 6
    Feriscool wrote: »
    Would you use an engine like UDK or CryEngine to put it all together?
    Yes, take a look at game like trine which are 3d-sidescrollers made with udk.
    What sort of challenges can I expect?
    Too many to list here. Have you experiences in developing a game ?
    I have many ideas for it,
    My personal rule of thumb:
    level of challenge = pow(basic challenges , #ideas)

If you have never done a game before, start small with really just one ideas, take a game genre which is supported out of the box by the choosen engine (fps in case of UDK/CE). Game development needs experience like art, you can't dive head on in hi-poly sculpting human anatomy when you never before have done art. But instead of making a ugly blob you call human, you will have a game which will not run :)
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    The most valuable advice I think is: prototype early!
    You need to nail down your best fundamental game mechanic in your game design and then you make a prototype for it.
    If it's fun, continue developing - else just come up with a new idea.
  • Feriscool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 wrote: »
    Yes, take a look at game like trine which are 3d-sidescrollers made with udk.

Too many to list here. Have you experiences in developing a game ?

My personal rule of thumb:
    level of challenge = pow(basic challenges , #ideas)

If you have never done a game before, start small with really just one ideas, take a game genre which is supported out of the box by the choosen engine (fps in case of UDK/CE). Game development needs experience like art, you can't dive head on in hi-poly sculpting human anatomy when you never before have done art. But instead of making a ugly blob you call human, you will have a game which will not run :)

I have developed games in the past, but this will be my first professional game.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

If anyone else has more input, please tell!
  • Feriscool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    pro advice: don't actually involve artists "in the near future". Wait until you have a working prototype, as 99% of these projects crash and burn and the artists you talked into contributing are going to come back in here and hate on you.

ahem

I've made games in the past, but never a 3D sidescroller.