Home Technical Talk

Would this be possible?

Hi there,

I'm trying to make a texture work without the object.
What I want in 3DS max is an object to scale, but the texture to "tile" with it. But the moment I do that, the texture scales with the object, and for example, bricks will enlarge and become unrealistic.

avsxu8.jpg

I've tried UVW map, and place that on both the objects, yet that didn't work.

Please help :)

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Pending on the application you're using, you could use a Projected Texture shader, that will project the textures on your model from all sides, without the needs for UV's and will not squash.

You should look and see if Max has anything like that.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What you'd do is unwrap the object manually, just in case you haven't gotten the idea of that yet, then look up unwrapping.

If you already do know how to, then my bad! But there is another fix for it too, aye.

What you do is tick the box 'preserve uv' under the edit geometry tab in edit poly/mesh mode.
  • slugheady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What you'd do is unwrap the object manually, just in case you haven't gotten the idea of that yet, then look up unwrapping.

If you already do know how to, then my bad! But there is another fix for it too, aye.

What you do is tick the box 'preserve uv' under the edit geometry tab in edit poly/mesh mode.

I don't have the time to unwrap it, I get tons of sketchup files that I want to render in 3DS max, if I have to unwrap every building / object then it would take me ages :P!

Anyways, I'll try the projecting technique.

Thanks a lot, if anyone has a better solution I'd be glad! I'll post the best solution I find.

Greets
  • NoisyMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe Adam L Gray's technique also works with a UVW Map. You said you're getting buildings and objects from sketchup, so I assume they are pretty basic shapes - should be perfect for a UVW Map.

If you're just looking to get a brick texture on multiple different buildings of different sizes, get the UVW Map on one object to the proper scale, and then simply drag that UVW Map modifier onto the next building. It will keep the same properties (scale) as the original building. Then if you need to do any fine tuning, you can go down your stack to your Edit Poly and with "Preserve UVs" checked, you can move some verts/edges around without messing up the texture.

Hopefully I didn't misunderstand your issue and this can be of some help.