Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] Windrunner - Golden Harvest

Hello all! I'm fairly new to Dota 2, playing from time to time with my very skilled friend. My favourite heroes are Sven, Lina, and Windrunner. For this contest I am going to give a shot at creating an item set for Windrunner, as I play her the most.

I really enjoy Miyazaki's films and want to make a costume reminiscent of Ashitaka's Eastern Archer garb from Princess Mononoke. I sketched a couple of images depicting Windrunner in this wheat-farmer traveler attire, and will be refining this concept throughout the month. Thanks for checking it out! Feedback is much appreciated!

Lastest Update:
windrunner model paint-over:
2012-10-15_00007_painted_v2.png

Replies

• shuanDang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    initial rough sketch:
    I'm concerned at whether or not this brightly coloured cape would fit well on the character in game, as her default is largely green.

image6_painted.png
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Oh man, I'm loving the Miyazaki style, looking fantastic! I can't wait to see you translate it into 3D!

I think the design works very well with the hero as it is right now. The only thing that I'd have to criticize is that maybe you could make the bow a bit more interesting. Again, really cool concept, I'm definitely gonna be stalking this thread!
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    nice sketch!
    you really have to do the gras piece in her mouth in the final (if it's technically possible)
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    I think the cape will fit well, but I agree that the bow needs to standout a bit more. Remember that your design will be seen mostly from far away so try and "exaggerate" things a little bit.
  • shuanDang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I got addicted to playing Dota and didn't put much time into working on the model, but I was able to make some progress this weekend! I wanted to make sure that whatever I was working on would import properly into the Dota 2 client, and after browsing through a number of tutorials, it was a success! I started the project in Maya, but have since transferred it into Blender. Hopefully it treats me well.

Here are screenshots of the hair model-in-progress.

2012.10.30_wr_gh_screenshot.png

2012.11.03_ss_cropped.png

And previewed, with the wrong UVs. Gotta make the piece of wheat in her mouth larger!

2012-11-03_00001_crop.png

I took your concerns about the bow and drafted a couple of pages to figure out a unique bow design.

P1030681.png

P1030682.png

P1030682_select.png

Gonna be going for this large, padded bow, to hopefully unify the theme.
  • shuanDang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update, and back to work!

After much tinkering, I'm more comfortable working with 3D. Here's my progress thus far on the bow. The models are pretty much done, all the rest of the work will be in texturing and masking.

Today I will be trying to finish modeling the hair. Wish me luck!

2012-11-29_00011_cropped.png

2012.11.29_model.png

windrunner_bow_color_chart.png