Home General Discussion

Tips on starting on portofolio/study?

Jack_Rhoad
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Jack_Rhoad polycounter lvl 7
Hiya, I've been a little stumped lately. It sounds very sappy, but I've been out of motivation for a year or two now when it comes to producing things, both 2D and 3D, and I'm eager to get some work done now. I'm just not sure where to start, I have been curious on getting a bit into layouts and design as such, and I don't know if I should try to make up alternative versions of existing things for practice, or ask someone for some free designing.

Someone told me that trying to come up with a remake of an existing character might be good practice too, I'm trying to learn maya properly, and mix it with Zbrush.

I guess what I'm wondering about is, what do you make when your not sure where to start?

Replies

• Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I'm not sure if your into environment work or just characters.

But barrels and crates are always a pretty good starting point. Those can get in the simplicity of geometry for learning the basics of modeling and unwrapping in Maya, while having pretty organic textures that you can work on in zbrush.

For characters, if your not sure what you want to work on you could always try a theme of an art competition, or find a random generator. I remember one of the Ctrl+Paint videos had stuff on those generators and what to do if you don't know what to make.

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/generating-ideas/
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    When in doubt.... Penis Tank!
  • Jack_Rhoad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack_Rhoad polycounter lvl 7
    I'm not sure if your into environment work or just characters.

But barrels and crates are always a pretty good starting point. Those can get in the simplicity of geometry for learning the basics of modeling and unwrapping in Maya, while having pretty organic textures that you can work on in zbrush.

For characters, if your not sure what you want to work on you could always try a theme of an art competition, or find a random generator. I remember one of the Ctrl+Paint videos had stuff on those generators and what to do if you don't know what to make.

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/generating-ideas/
    That helped ALOT. Than you very much for the help, it's nice to find nice and affordable vids like that.
    When in doubt.... Penis Tank!
    Now I can't unsee that, thank you very much...
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
    If your having a hard time ( As myself and most artists do) just fighting over what to do or start just join a mod or indie project, seriously it does something at least in my brain that helps me not worry about so many oh the stopping block that come along when you have infinite things that can stop you in your tracks.

Having other people to say here make a zombie cop, or hey make an American Indian helps you focus on the details of that one thing instead of being stuck in the idea quick sand that is every possible thing you could ever model. It also helps you focus and get it done because someone is counting on that model being finished. Motivation outside of your self is probably the easiest way to sum up how to get out a creative slump.

Hope this helps and keep at it!!!! :)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Jack_Rhoad wrote: »
    Now I can't unsee that, thank you very much...
    ORLY?

Penis_tankWIP01.jpg

Seriously, though, inspiration is nothing if you're not getting work done. Even, nay ESPECIALLY if you don't feel inspired, you should still be working on something. It can just be small experiments or studies, but you should always be working on solving some problem even if you don't find it inspiring. Doing work constantly will give you the practice you need so that when inspiration happens along, you can milk it for all it's worth and continue working long after it's gone.