Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] Phantom Assassin - Shhh (Probably not going to be called this in the end!)

Hey guys!

For the most part this is a place holder for my set. I haven't had much time lately but I'm hoping to power through a few evenings here and there to get everything completed (if its not as high quality as I would like probably will not be submitting a final entry)

For the most part I have some ideas for my pieces (No idea on the weapon, might not even end up having one, just cant draw anything that doesn't look like crap)

Here is a quick doodle of my cape (inside the outer edges is planned normal map detail):2hqv04w.jpg

Unless it is a black and white sketch or a rendered image I will probably not be uploading any colored images that are not renders because it is my least proficient area.

Hope to have some more soon,
Thanks for viewing!

One final note if somebody can clarify for me. There is room for a belt in the PA requirements yet her belt is built into her default mesh. Is this referring to the 2 daggers? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• TheDude537
    Some more updates.

Cape: v7fw92.jpg
    Definitely too rigid but just in the process of making the base mesh for sculpting.

Some weapon designs that I'm okay with, still needs work but I'm slowly getting better idea of what it should look like:

1) 27ylhl.jpg

2) 2mw604.jpg
  • TheDude537
    6 Different styles for the Main blade (the slashing one), still with no normal maps, A-F from Left -> Right

2ch0x1g.jpg

Feel free to let me know which one you prefer!
  • TheDude537
    Getting to the point where I have to decide on some final models for sculpting if I am ever going to finish on time.

So here is the final (most likely) cape and weapon models:

9bbz8j.jpg

10547eo.jpg

2u97die.jpg
  • TheDude537
    Cape with Normals: 2rnvwjp.jpg

Weapon (I know I said the last was the final but I always get comments about symmetry, which you would think I would learn by now but ended up changing it up a bit to give it an overall S shape): 24oxd8j.jpg
  • TheDude537
    I believe I am officially going to call my set 'Secrets of the Veil'

The driving factor behind the set is that each piece will have a few engravings or symbols that differ. These engravings and symbols signify a potential hint to something within the Sisters of the Veil. Since nobody know anything about them they add to the mystery!

Also here is the final (until I finish the other pieces at least) cape:
    izxh92.jpg
  • TheDude537
    Just to make sure I know how to load the models into the in-game model viewer (had some trouble with some DK items before) I put the cape in there.

2mgo768.jpg

2q3dc1w.jpg

1znn2ma.jpg
  • TheDude537
    Thinking the blade is a bit too large.

2v2e743.jpg

2a80xg2.png
  • TheDude537
    Shoulders
    My first pass really, Too much clutter for a 256 I think but I've only started using Zbrush recently and we'll see if I can get anything that works out of it before the contest is over.
    Base Mesh
    11kgqrp.jpg
    34gvj2v.jpg
    Zbrush Foolin'
    296ge4p.jpg
    de42df.jpg
  • TheDude537
    Gonna probably have to redo the shoulders or improve my hi-poly version because it looks awful in the model viewer =P

Finally got a good chunk of time and started the helm yesterday evening. The hair is going to be redone just scoping things out.

2z9m7vt.jpg

2h53eht.jpg
  • TheDude537
    Given that we now have 2 more weeks I'll be taking a few days break and rethinking most of the set based on the helm, since I think it turned out way better than anything else. When I started I feel I was almost clueless to process breakdowns (not surprising considering I have very little experience). Some of my friends have been very helpful in feedback and I agree with their assessment that there has been, at least in our eyes, a lot of improvement over the course of the contest. So now is as good a time as any to cool my head and prepare a bit more.

Maybe somebody will read this =D

Thanks
    --Ben
  • TheDude537
    Time for an update I suppose:

2ynh1tw.jpg

211jrx4.jpg

Id like to add more detail to the main blade part but other than that I'm fairly satisfied. lost a lot of my detail in the handle because its 12 tris and it is fully unwrapped in the 0-1 space whereas everything else is overlayed. Although her hand covers 90% of it ingame so ... It will suffice for now until I complete the rest and see if I have time to refine.
  • TheDude537
    Looks like I only have 3 items, but that's the minimum so woohoo. Probably going to make the dagger tonight, shouldn't be too bad.

Weapon
    35bfq1d.jpg
    20go38n.jpg

Cape
    2nhkcbq.jpg
    5xq68y.jpg

Helmet
    1pb3go.jpg
    2ugkq69.jpg