Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Phantom Assassin - Crystalized Assassin

I like the idea that the Phantom Assassin has history behind her with the cult that she was born into. It gives her this immortal-like quality that is already evident in her tattered cape.

So what I'm hoping to do with Mortred is give her a 'undead' like look. As if someone awakened her from a slumber.

(Think Davy Jones but replace the barnacles with runes)
7FX6U.jpg
JqXOE.jpg

I'll put in some references soon.

I do have a question, since there can be two LOD files, can you upload 2 texture files? one for display and one for in-game?

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    That's a good question about the LOD's and textures possibly, might want to ask on the questions and answers thread

I really like this just hope it can be done as it looks pretty big blade wise and might clip, unless you already tested that out, otherwise It is looking ace.
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tested it out, it clips her death animation but that's about it. I'll go post the question right now
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *edit

Made the references onto the concept art

vPFjR.jpg

I like all of these ideas, especially the stone face and the roots but I'm afraid this is too much. Maybe a bit overbearing?
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated with first concept art of the shoulders
  • Olphelia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olphelia polycounter lvl 5
    I like the reference images you've collected. I can see this matching the character nicely :)
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n6mLP.jpg

come concept silhouettes, let me know if they are hard to see or conceptualize.

still not sure on the color
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    L7bBD.jpg

a couple of helmet/dead concepts I threw together, As for the bleeding eye, I understand that you can't change the base model but It would be cool to try and and see if I can put it in as a sudo-contact lense
  • Vindalia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for your most recent board, I like the concept on the right the most. If you are able to incorporate the bleeding eye, that would be pretty neat. Since you've got her face all bandaged up, I'd encourage you to show that off some more and maybe push the hair a bit further back (or tuck it behind an ear) on one side. Keep it up! :)
  • Futashia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bleeding eye is an interesting concept! If you do that however, you're probably going to have to make the "bleeding" actual planes, as you are not allowed to manipulate the base textures of the models. so be careful with that!
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9NjXi.jpg
    zt7J7.jpg

been modeling since my 2d skills are lacking, but what do you guys like better, the cleaner version of the first or the jagged, chaotic version? all gems will be self illuminating
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keep in mind that the weapon will stay as the clean crystals since I am already having a polygon issue on that one (got down to 700 but have no idea how I'm going to get down to 600)
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    av0Nk.jpg

Did some modeling on the shoulders, looks pretty chaotic right now but I will be refining it soon.

Any advice? Help a beginner out...
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    It might help to look at it from afar to see how it interacts with the rest of the forms.

Considering PA's default shoulder gear, have you considered using fewer and slightly larger crystals?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Starmony wrote: »
    I like the idea that the Phantom Assassin has history behind her with the cult that she was born into. It gives her this immortal-like quality that is already evident in her tattered cape.

So what I'm hoping to do with Mortred is give her a 'undead' like look. As if someone awakened her from a slumber.

(Think Davy Jones but replace the barnacles with runes)
    7FX6U.jpg
    JqXOE.jpg

I'll put in some references soon.

I do have a question, since there can be two LOD files, can you upload 2 texture files? one for display and one for in-game?

i think i can help you in that

no, you cant use 2 texture, is one single texture for the 2 lods. the textures has already lods called mipmaps that are generated automatically =]
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    caarx.jpg
    uSN0T.jpg

I am making a head with this set so I wanted to construct it around the original so they could be worn separately and not interfere with one another.

DashXero: Thanks for the tip, I'll consider the whole form more in the future. And as for the crystals, I do believe that it would work better to have more authority over the crystals, especially considering that the in-game version is tiny. I will work on that next session.
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto: Thanks, I will relay your answer to the QnA thread. So they want the larger LOD file to literally be a larger scale. Interesting.
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b4I5v.jpg
    V9pfM.jpg

Cleaned up her shoulders over the last few days. I decided that I had too many Ideas and really wanted to get back to my original idea which was Mortred's motivation for killing

I'm trying to get a sense that she is being guided by the gem around her neck, almost like blood-seeker and his weapons but unlike bs, PA has almost a relationship with this power, in exchange for the use of her body as life-force, the gem grants her immense power.
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, the shoulders on the right are going to look like common armor but the blocky thing on the left I want to look like woven vines that have substituted themselves for armor.

I have a question for you guys, when thinking about polygon limits, what simple shape could I make look like woven vines in the texture file? right now I have rectangles but should it be cylinders?
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bz4ks.jpg
    4klBg.jpg
    e0FyZ.jpg

No fancy concept art or high polycount models but all of these are within the allowed limits and I'm very proud of these.

On to texturing next but if anyone has any tips or suggestions that would be wonderful.
  • ACap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    Man, it is very interesting idea. And I think it has a great potential to grow into unique art. Good job. Keep it up!
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks! Trying to get out some textures in a little bit. maybe jiggle bone the hair as extra.