Home Unreal Engine

Vertex painting on Terrain?

zombie420
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
zombie420 polycounter lvl 10
I've just started playing around with terrain for the first time but I would like to get some interesting weather effects going. Is it possible to give my terrain materials a height map and paint things like snow over the terrain, or does terrain not support vertex painting like a mesh does?

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    It has weightmaps that you can paint with, but I don't believe they are vertex bound, and it's all under the hood. I can't recall the landscape interface atm, but it's as straight forward as adding a new material to the terrain layer palette which you can paint it on/off directly...no messing with vertexcolor driven lerps in the material editor or anything.
    The documentation on UDN should explain the basics.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    As far as I know, the Terrain and Landscape tools have their own method of texturing. They function like Vertex Painting, but it isn't actually Vertex Painting. It's just kind of blending the textures based on your brush settings for opacity. I don't think Vertex Painting works on anything but meshes...

Edit: Also, I can't remember which tool is which, but one of them using multiple Terrain Material materials that you create individually, but the other can use one material that has a variety of different textures assigned. I don't remember the setup though. I think Wenda on Youtube has a good UDK landscape tutorial.