Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DotA2] Windrunner - Daughter of Eagles

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
lysaara polycounter lvl 9
Throwing my hat in the ring! I'm not a MOBA player but DotA2's art style appeals to me and my sister is big into it, so I thought I'd make a set for her favourite hero. I'm still completely new to sculpting so that's going to be the biggest obstacle in this challenge I think...

I'm definitely going to make a new hairstyle, a cloak and bow for Windrunner, with a wild and feathery sort of look. If I have time I might make some shoulders to match too.

My main inspiration for her new hair is Ke$ha and her fabulous tousled feathery mane.
OxnNI.jpg
I'm hopefully(!) going to recreate this with Windrunner's signature red hair and some big gold eagle feathers in it. Maybe a bit of ombre too, we'll see how it goes. I'll have to keep most of the length off the front though, so it won't clip with her default cloak. Here's a shitty concept:
OsKKw.jpg

More to come! :3

Replies

• shanks37
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, i never thought i'd be okay with someone making windrunner look like kesha...

seriously though its a good look for her so i'm looking forward to what you do.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    I'm with you on that one shanks...

I think it'd be cool if the feathers have more of a gradient quality to them so that they start out more orange at the base, almost blending into the hair and then go to the full yellow you have right now. Otherwise, cool concept once you take away the whole Kesha part :D
  • lysaara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lysaara polycounter lvl 9
    Spudnik wrote: »
    I'm with you on that one shanks...

I think it'd be cool if the feathers have more of a gradient quality to them so that they start out more orange at the base, almost blending into the hair and then go to the full yellow you have right now. Otherwise, cool concept once you take away the whole Kesha part :D

Good idea! I want to add some hilight streaks to her hair to bring it up to the gold of the feathers, too.

More concepts! Slightly less shitty, because gosh hair is hard to draw.
    aYvry.jpg A feather-adorned cloak. Not sure if I like this or my original entirely-feathers idea, but entirely-feathers might get a bit fussy. My tablet's gone a bit odd so the feathers will remian looking rather like bananas for now :I

Xpz7s.jpg
    Gnarly bow! I kinda like Windrunner's art-deco bow but this one looks more... real. Still got those bright green gems embedded in it, and a feathery flourish :3 The browns are looking pretty greenish on this monitor compared to my main though... I'll have to make sure to double-check my colours before I get into the texturing stage.