Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Braunis Foliage development

Hey there,

currently I'm searching for fast methods for creating realistic foliage.
My first project is grass. I treid a lot with billboard techniques and modelled blades of grass.
Now my latest and I think best method is to get the grass Highpoly done in Maya Paint effects assigning a Mental ray shader and play arround with blade textures until i liked it.

QkJyL.jpg

This was the final texture and shader setup. I got a texture map with 9 different grass textures for this field. The uvs of the Blades are randomly done by a little script.

after i had this i was tweaking the shapes a bit so it comes better on a flat plane.
With this setup i did a texture bake of the shadera with ambient occlusion and all this stuff to a 1024 map. I added a bit of bleeding to the map to counter the aliasing.

This is the result:
L8FNY.jpg

The good thing about this is i can get every form of grass in about 15 min and have just to render it out. so a clump take me 30 min until it's game ready.

My work for tomorrow will be to fill a complete texture sheet with different grass variation and doing the lowpoly planes that it looks good.

The next vegetation will be trees. I will maybe start looking at speedtree.. let's see!

Greets Alex

Replies