Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] Faceless Void - Twister3 & Enimael

Twister3
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Twister3 polycounter lvl 12
Hi guys,

really cool challenge! A buddy of mine and me started working on an item set for Faceless Void. Here is a first draft. Crits and comments are very welcome!

facelessvoidconcept.jpg

Replies

• Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Is everything floating? If it is, I think it'd be cool the piece at the chest was actually in the flesh, Iron Man style and everything else is floating by its power or something like that. Otherwise, really sweet concept! is the material more metal or more something like obsidian?
  • Enimael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi spudnik,
    everything is supposed to be floating, since he is a being from outer space (at least that is what i got from the description). also he is an agility-based hero, so his armor shouldn't be to heavy looking. to fuse the chest-piece into his flesh is a good idea, but like you are saying, it is maybe a bit too iron-man. but i will test it, and maybe it looks cooler that way.
    the material is supposed to be metal, but we were also thinking about making it obsidian or meteor-material with an metal border, again to show his origin. maybe he needs some sort of robe or something, right now he may be a little bit too vulnerable.
  • Mavell Duceau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing, he isn't from outer space (that's Outworld Destroyer) He's from Clazureme, a separate plane of existence with no time.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Nice concept! Lots of nice shapes too. Will keep my eye on this :D
  • Enimael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @marvin: oh, my bad, i figured because of the visuals of his ulti, that he is somewhat of a space traveller, but i think the concept works with that slight difference too. the stones are not falling down, because they are bound by the forces of non-time onto their locations. :)
    @anuxinamoon: thanks a ton, hope we don't disappoint :)
  • miura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks amazing!! looking forward to see the geometry
  • Enimael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey everybody,

I took some time and explored a bit more.
    the first one is a new approach where he still has obsidian and metal armore but it is fixed on his body. beneath he wears a brocade west and some cords are attached to the armor to give it a richer feel of honor. this is just something that happened I am not 100% sold on the idea, since i feel it fights a bit with his background.

m93YD.jpg

the last piece are the photoshop layers both active ^^ it is just a trial and it seems a bit cluttered and heavy but maybe with a bit of clean up... what do you guys think?

FZYFX.jpg

cheers,
    Flo
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    I think the brocade vest is a bit too much, I like the bigger pieces from the new concept, but I think the he should still be barechested as much as possible.
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This armor seems pretty large, I don't want you guys to stray from the idea of a set matching an agility hero. Those soft reds do go really well with him though. Keep it up!
  • Core7SO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Spudnik on the chest. Looked more brave barechested and with those chains.
    The later concept bracer could be a better and omre subtle aproach tho.
  • Enimael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the replies everybody, i think so too, he shouldn't look too heavy.

I just found this on mike azevedo's (sick concept artist) facebook chronik, it shows how much awesome this hero can deal ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TS2bE6nk1i4#t=158s

it is cool for me to see him in action, and better still in such an sweet killstreak

cheers,
    Flo
  • Enimael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey everybody,

we did some tweaks to the armor and decided that now is the time to roll with it. we don't want to be too long in the planning phase but rather keep some momentum. so this is the final concept. changes will now be made in 3D and we are sure there will be some. can't wait to see it ingame either :)

cheers,
    Flo and Jahn

tVcs4.jpg
  • Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    The most recent concepts looks really good aside from the wrist/arms. I don't really like the black wrap.
  • Enimael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it is something that jahn and I talked about and we are not 100% sold on it neither. but we will see in 3D what we can do about that :)

cheers,
    Flo
  • Enimael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey everybody, finally some geo. we are both working atm, so it moves slow, but enough whining, here is the stuff:

t7bnQ.jpg
    5BcDB.jpg
    4Ho5j.jpg
    lbiGq.jpg

cheers,
    Jahn and Flo
  • ACap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    Very well. Looks really voidish. May be chains are too thin. I would enlarge them. Other polycounters, who worked with in game exporter already, found many issues with animation and polycount, so I would recommend to start export as fast as you can - to ensure that everything exporting ok. Great progress so far. Keep it up!
  • foeffa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic stuff :o
  • Echronos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great concept man, it looks fantastic! I agree with ACap, maybe if you make the chains larger, the silhouette would be better. Also, if you put the bigger armor in the left shoulder, it may be more balanced, as he holds his weapon in his left hand.

Keep it up man! I'm making a faceless void set too. Check it out later :)
  • Twister3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started with the highpoly, more progress will follow later this week!

facelessvoid_wip.jpg
  • Twister3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I'm more or less done with the HP. Enimael hasn't seen this yet so there still might be a few changes.

Now moving on to retopo which is always fun :D

highpoly_final.jpg
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice, 1 thing I would watch for is your buckles and chains are real small. I doubt they will even be seen at all.
  • Twister3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update with critique from Enimael incorporated.

fv_hipolydone.jpg
    Kralzar wrote: »
    nice, 1 thing I would watch for is your buckles and chains are real small. I doubt they will even be seen at all.

Yeah the buckles will be incorporated into texture but not geometry. We'll see about the chains... I think they might be distinguished from the shoulder plates with a different brightness/hue.
  • Twister3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, final hipoly and first bake. Next up is texturing!

hpoly_final.jpg

bake.jpg
  • Enimael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey fine people of polycount,

i finally started with the textures and this is what i have atm:
    1OpDL.jpg
    vmFhA.jpg
    SRQj5.jpg
    some issues will occur, i am almost certain of it. up until now i thought i could just handpaint every thing, but I am new to this, so the valve material-shader will make problems. I read through their shader mask guide, but i am not 100% sure i got it all. do you guys and girls think i can handpaint it all, or will the 2 special mask-textures be all like "pah! you simpleton" and afflict complexity and destruction upon my material?
    other than that, i would love some feedback, as usual, so be it good or bad (which is also good, because it helps me grow), please let me hear it.

cheers,
    Flo
  • Enimael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey folks,
    i received some feedback and worked on the textures. also i upped the res to 4times the final res, that way i could make it smoother. this is what i got so far.
    his skintone isnt the original texture, as i sort of lost the original mesh and now his uv mapping is broken. so it is just a material with a close-enough color and spec.

o1mcC.jpg
    13dw4.jpg
    BuEsh.jpg
    tell us what you think :)
    cheers,
    Flo
  • Enimael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everybody,
    trying to move at a steady pace here. I finally got behind all this channel-masking business. it seems really awesome, i can imagine it to be a really powerful tool and a awesome thing to know about, even without the valve-shader.
    i worked only on the color-passes, and will add the other mask-maps later.
    i found that the textures where too low res, and so i worked over them all. desaturated the lower parts (belt, hands) and tried to keep focus on the upper parts (chestpiece and shoulderparts). all in all i just painted away and tried to make it look cool. so here is what we've got right now. problems: the chestpiece and shoulderparts only look good together, if worn apart from each other, they sort of look lost a bit. do you guys have any tips? anyway, just tell me what you think :)

ffevA.jpg
    AaAi4.jpg
    N5LCr.jpg

Cheers,
    flo
  • JohnArr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just so you know, Void doesn't have a chest slot, so you'll probably have to make the shoulders/chest one item. You might have to trim polys a bit, but they look better together anyway :)

Only other thing is some of the diffuse detail is very noisy, it doesn't really fit the dota2 style and will look muddy at game res. Have another read of the texture guide: http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2CharacterTextureGuide.pdf
  • Enimael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback, we will use the last weeks to push it to a finish.