Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] - Naga Siren - Sea Lioness

Hey guys, Tony Miuccio here! I'm collaborating with a concept artist, Chelsea Bill. We've been emailing back and forth with our ideas and this is what we've got so far. We're also working on a sickle with a snake wrapped onto it for her weapon. Let us know what you think!

Update-- Mirrored the armor to make more room for textures.

NagaSirenConcept07_zps8d00cb6d.jpg

-older concepts
NagaSirenConcept04_zps0152b64e.jpg

NagaSirenConcept03_zps781878d3.jpg

Replies

• Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome! I'm really liking the structure of the hair, but I would suggest desaturating or toning down the color of it more the further it gets away from the face (minus the little blue blobs) so that the eye is always guided to the face and the "hair" frames the face. As for the armor, I thing it's really catching that Naga vibe, wave-y curves and nice layering of armor. For the chest piece I'm thinking you ca even go symmetrical because everything else on her is pretty symmetrical and the player won't notice if it's only the chest armor, especially not ingame. Plus it gives you more UV space :3. Overall, I'm really digging the concept, cant wait to see it in 3D!
  • TMiuccio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Spudnik. I was thinking about making it more mirror friendly. Which shoulder do you like most?

Also, with the Naga Siren, she has the default armor on when I import her. Does the design have to overlap the old armor, or will the old armor be replaced by the new? I know the hitbox won't change, but the Naga siren has an small shoulder piece that may or may not be covered by our design.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely left (character right) shoulder would be my favorite. With the other one you run into the danger of it being too small for people to see the details.

Any new item replaces the item that was previously in that slot. Say I make a hood for Invoker, when I equip that in-game, Invoker's hair is gone. All you have to worry about clipping wise is the base model. As far as making it work with the other items, normally there shouldn't be any problems as long as your item only covers the general area that is used by that slot. For example, there's this item for axe, a belt that has geo that goes up to the shoulder as well, which sometimes causes clipping issues with other items. (in this case though, not that bad because the extra geo from the belt is very close to the skin and axe's custom shoulders are usually large so they just cover it up).

hltQr.jpg

But it's more to get the point across: technically geo can be anywhere regardless of what slot it is in but typically you wanna stay with the general area that you start with. A good check is to see if your item clips with the default items. If you make a shoulder for example and bring it into the ingame previewer (which only works with one item at a time, so only your custom shoulder, all the rest of the items will be default) and there's no clipping with the default items going on, you're in the clear.
  • TMiuccio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok cool, that's perfect.

With the shoulders you like, will they be too big as to cause issues with selection since the items wont change the selection box? Or is that an issue that is more of an issues for much larger items?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hitboxes are pretty large (cursors dont get screenshot'ed so I had to redo in PS), so you can go almost double the size of the character (not suggested obviously)
    9yPxG.jpg
  • TMiuccio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet, thanks. I primarily use 3ds max. I was wondering if you've found any good workflows for creating the 3d assets and previewing them with the mask1+2 files.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only accurate way to preview items right now is directly in game until the Dota2 SDK is released (don't hold your breath).

Until then, Lennyagony has lined out a pretty nice approach here
  • TMiuccio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok cool. I was looking at that walkthrough. I just wasn't sure if that was what most people were using. Thanks, I'll be hopping into modeling the pieces in this upcoming week.
  • shirogatsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shirogatsu polycounter lvl 5
    Great concept!
    Want to see this in 3d (:
  • TMiuccio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chelsea is an awesome artist. Thanks
  • ChelseaBill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I'm glad you guys like it! :)
  • TMiuccio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armor update, bump for thoughts/advice
  • ParhelionSundog
    Wow! You beat me to the punch. I was working on a lowpoly form of a lionfish headset for Naga before I knew about this thread. In the middle of working on it, I thought, "Wait... Someone's probably already making one." And sure enough, yes! lol

This is SOOOO beautiful. Much better than mine. Can't wait to see it! :)