Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Ogre Magi – Lucky Dragon set

This idea started out as an idea to have Ogre Magi wielding a "Lucky Dragon's foot", literally a disembodied dragon foot, like a club. Spent most of the day sketching it out.

2usu06x.jpg

I also sketched out a very, VERY rough reference of what I want this set to look like
2prxjxd.jpg

Still not sure what I plan on doing about the wrists.

Anyway, that's what I got done today. Any suggestions or critiques are more than welcome!

Replies

• iirsmv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished modeling the shoulder/back piece. 296 tris. That's supposed to be a sword sticking out of the dragon's head, there.
    Not sure if I should make the cape longer. Or if the dragon head is believable on his shoulder.
    21c89bs.jpg
    Texturing and rigging is going to be an adventure.
  • iirsmv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modeled the foot club! Currently working on rigging it.
    Also, I'm going to need some help. Up there in my first post was my original idea for the color of the foot, but now I'm not so sure. Any suggestions?2lo55xj.jpg
  • EbbAndFlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colors are too saturated
  • Mavell Duceau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd make it a greeny-gray with darker red highlights. Or something.
  • iirsmv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Successfully rigged the club, after more effort than I'd care to elaborate on. Also messed around with the textures some, to see if I can make it all pretty. Thanks for the suggestions, by the way! It was WAY too saturated. Not sure how I completely missed that.
    1zna3ig.jpg

Now that I look at it in-game, though, the textures seem to be much lower resolution than everything else. Am I doing something wrong? What's going on here?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    It's a fairly big item so that could be a problem. Did you paint at higher resolution? If you did, try downsizing in Photoshop rather than trough the compiler, might give you better results.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    iirsmv wrote: »

Now that I look at it in-game, though, the textures seem to be much lower resolution than everything else. Am I doing something wrong? What's going on here?

Make sure you have your video settings turned all the way up, by default one of the settings is set down a notch and causes some texture compression. Same problem caused me a bunch of grief for a while there :\
  • iirsmv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turned out, the item was WAY too huge, so I shrunk it down a bit, and fiddled with the textures slightly, and it looks much better now. I also changed the colors to what I think to be a little more congruent with Ogre Magi's existing color scheme, and tweaked the _Mask2 to make it pop slightly more. Thoughts? 2wgcaoy.jpg