Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DOTA 2] Doom Bringer Runic Scythe item set

Hi,

I will admit at first that I just finished my first tutorial in Zbrush, got my self familiar with the control and that will be my main tool to build my item set on (maybe at 5 or 6 subdiv if I get it good). I still am in the course or finding suitable runes to put on the scythe and incorporate the lore of Doom Bringer to the set. In this version I look to make Doom more softer via robes and hoods but not too subtle as assassin, retaining his hellish presence by modifying the wings with scythe and runes and use oversized scythe to decaptitate enemies. I will put my rough sketch soon after but won't be able to put reference picture up at the moment. I would love to have people tell me their thoughts and a bit of work around because like I said I'm new to 3D modelling but I'm quick to learn however. Cheers and stay posted. :thumbup:

Replies

• echineon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP post 1:
    sketch of items and theme.
  • echineon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finished the rough mesh for the scythe still need to apply runes and colour.
    leftg.jpg
  • echineon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very rough sketch for the wings but I'll call it a day. Still have to fill up my dota 2 match quota for today. Cheers.
    wingsmj.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Be aware that you cannot (yet) change the animations for the hero. Make sure that your concept work with especially the attack animation. I would suggest taking a white super-low-poly version of your weapon and compiling it in game to see how it looks with all his animations before you proceed.
  • echineon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers spudnik. Seeing sparrow hawk animation model for windrunner makes me think it was possible. Will look that up tomorrow. Hopefully the animation works smoothly with the scythe.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, I saw that one too, and I'm inclined to think that IF there's an item in the top 10 winners of this competition that might need slight anim re-tweaks that Valve WOULD do it. But then again, that's a lot of if's...
  • echineon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I forgot about the polycount requirement of weapon for doom so reconstruct it to 348 polys now. Re-rendered it and probably will work on the hood/helm first to see the room left for the wings. Cheers.

About testing animation, I can only export the scythe to .obj file and don't know how to put it in Alien Swarm SDK to view the animation but at the moment my guesstimate is that it will work just fine with the scythe at its current state.

goodrender.jpg
  • danidem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danidem polycounter lvl 11
    Make sure the scythe fits with the sword position! When he attacks with your weapon, it's not going to hit "for real" the enemy. Take the same width that the original sword :)

Keep it going!
  • echineon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can anyone show or link me to how to assign weapon to the bone in 3ds max? I tried to replace the sword with the scythe but it didn't work. Updated texture just need to bound it to the bone, but I really have no idea what to do at this stage. Got Maya, 3ds max and blender but maya doesn't want to import SMD files right now.
    /edit: forgot to mention I also have XSI. :poly142:
    maya says Error: Object " not found.
    completedscythe.jpg
  • echineon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished with the bounding item, now it displays properly still need to refine texture though. I have another question, is the yellow line along the sword is the particle and is there anyway to remove it without removing the floating flame? GIF included and the attack animation works just fine.
    doomanition.gif
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good and it does work well though in combat he might be landing his shots behind the enemies (not sure but just looks like he would in the environment animation part, specifically.)

If you could have the flame maybe rotated to the axis of the handle of the scythe or to the head of the blade were the orange lava part is wouldn't look bad. I don't know if you can disable that effect though.
  • echineon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks sinz. Well I changed my plan since I've decided I still have a lot to learn so I will withdraw from the competition and put this item on workshop.

I tested out all available animation and there isn't any complication aside from the flame. If I move the scythe to align with the particle then due to the difference in shape depends on the animation i.e. stun the item will be partially on the ground which is not really desirable to me. And I don't want to rescale the scythe any smaller either. Cheers for the reply though.

Updated texture can be found here:
    doomvictoryscythe.jpg

If you want to have a look at the item in workshop here is the link:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=103020293