Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Meepo - Lucky Haul

Hello!

I find DOTA 2's lore to be quite inspirational. There's just so much going on in there, both on and under the surface.

I want to try to make a set that harkens back to Meepo's origin story. The idea is that he's found an unusually large Riftshadow crystal, and is trying to take it back to his camp to get it appraised. In the lore, the crystal shatters and, well, weird things happen.

I'm assuming that the minerals in Meepo's backpack are Riftshadow crystals, so I'll be trying to make a big one by using those as a reference. Here's the concept so far:

MeepoConcepts.png

I plan on modelling a back, shoulder, and head item. I'll add more if I finish before the deadline. I may come up with a better hood design later on, it feels a bit too close to Meepo's default one.

I'm still fairly new to 3D modelling, but this is a great learning opportunity and I'll definitely get something out of it, regardless of the quality of the finished product. That said, the prospect of texturing all this terrifies me :poly101:

Replies

• reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    if it aint a challenge then you aint learning!
    Welcome to Polycount - where we all suffer together.
  • Shakii
    Progress so far:

MeepoProgress1.png

I think the belt looks fine, but the rope seems a little flat. Might round it out a little once everything else is finished.

As things are going, I'm going to end up with plenty of triangles left over. I'm worried that it might be coming in too far under budget. In addition, I'm feeling uneasy about making the LoD0 model, I've never really done that before :poly134:
  • Shakii
    MeepoOutlineTest.png

Progress!

I'm happy with the model. I think. What I did was make two different meshes (rope/belt and crystal) and combine them. Hopefully I'm not committing some sort of 3D taboo here :(

As for textures, I just drew some lines on the model to help me identify what each piece corresponds to on the UV map. I'm going to bake a normal map before I get started on the final textures.

So far, it uses 698 out of the 800 available triangles. Since I'll have 600 extra for the LOD0 model, I'll probably use them on the front part of the rope and the top corner of the crystal, as they're more or less the only parts visible from the portrait.

I've only got one real issue so far - I can't seem to export a .smd with Blender that has the model attached to more than one bone. The model's rigged to the necessary bones in Blender, but it won't deform to fit the rest of the skeleton in DOTA 2. Not sure if I'm missing something or if it's an issue with my software. If it's the latter, I'll have to get a friend to rig the finished model for me :poly141:
  • Shakii
    I'm really grateful for the extension; Today marks the end of all my classes and I thought I'd be able to return back here and try to get as much done as I possibly could. I got a LOT done. Everything's almost finished :D

rough.pngrough2.png

Unfortunately, I never realized I was so horrible at making textures. I don't think I'll have enough time to make them any better. I can't imagine seeing this next to all the other really excellent and well-done entries, so I'm thinking that I should just hold off on submitting this and instead put it on the Steam workshop at a later date when it's good and ready. What do you think?