Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DOTA2] - Venomancer - Orchid Growth Armor

First post on the forums! I've lurked around before checking out low poly submissions so I think now I'll take this opportunity to post something soon for this contest as well. For my idea on Venomancer's item set, I'd like to work around the more plant like evolution behind Lesale's transformation. Some references I'm looking at are the leaf mantis' and their forms.

Orchid-Praying-Mantis.jpg

33231-Leaf-Mantis-white-background.jpg

For now just posting a spot on the contest... will have silhouettes and mock models soon!

Replies

• keiwannabe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm finally back with some concepts I can present. Below is the first concept I was thinking about for a more plant like armor. I pushed an organic feel from orchid references. I soon figured out modeling an entire new carapace for Venomancer's main body isn't allowed in the contest so I moved on with my second concept.

269969_10151249267241648_2135550535_n.jpg

This is the final concept I came up with. I avoided the common spiny, insect look that many other styles have used. Not to mention I tried to design further away from the Hydralisk concept and pushed for Venomancer's own lore and design.

536375_10151249267226648_1035915466_n.jpg

Please comment and help me improve any part of my concept for Venomancer! Thank you!
  • keiwannabe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh heres also the ward concept as well! I tried to give the ward a more plant theme as well.

523680_10151249272346648_1656687932_n.jpg

Any comments are welcomed! Thanks!
  • ThatDeznaGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I quite like the concept you're going for, with the plant side of his transformation. I think that you'll need a bit more of that venomous colouring to him, though. Nothing overly gaudy, but some bright colours that say "don't eat me" or "I am poisonous" might enhance this.
    Of course, you could also try softer curves, like that of a leaf.

What you have, though, is rather impressive. I really like the subtle roots on the wards, it's pretty awesome. The barbed stinger on his tail is also rather awesome. Badass concept overall :)
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceCentipede polycounter lvl 4
    Good luck man! Glad that somebody take venomancer too:-) watching this thread.
  • keiwannabe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input! I'll be posting up models shortly!
    Good luck man! Glad that somebody take venomancer too:-) watching this thread.

haha let me know if you have any points you want to add on my design too! Venomancer is a pretty hard hero to re-design weapons/assets for. Good luck to you too, I'll check your thread too :)
  • keiwannabe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres the mock block in I have for now, I'll come with the ward designs soon!

the polys are in fit with the LOD1 though the arms are a bit over the limit

643959_10151257871571648_2098129755_n.jpg

267768_10151257871406648_1576225290_n.jpg

I'm thinking maybe I should push out the forms more away from the original. Any ideas? any help would be awesome!