Home Technical Talk

High poly modeling workflow questions

liamdes
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
liamdes polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys, how's it going? I'd like to apologize in advance, I have a ton of questions and have been having a hard time finding the answers on my own. I've been 3d modeling for a while, but have decided to try more complicated models to up my modeling skills. I've done a few high poly models before in 3ds max and maya, but they've usually been fairly simple compared to stuff i'm currently attempting. I'm not going to lie, I'm feeling really spent and discouraged after watching numerous tutorials and trying to model more complex models. I've read through quite a bit of the "How u model dem shapes" thread as well as others. The tutorials I've watched about high poly modeling have been helpful, but I feel like there's a huge gap in skill and technique from what I've learned in all the tutorials I could find and what some people are able to put out in their models.

I've been inspired by this thread on NGHS and was wondering what most of your guys' high poly workflows are. The way I've been going about it is I'd block out a rough low poly model to get the shape, silhouette, and proportions correct. Then I'd build a low poly model(keeping quads for the meantime), from which I'd make a copy and model in the small details into my high poly.

From looking at tutorials and from forum threads I've come up with a few questions. How do most of your workflows go? Do you model the details straight into the high poly models, or do you use floating geometry? If you do both, when do you know when to model things in and when to use floating geometry? How do you guys model in intricate cutlines into models like in this model (sub d? zbrush? separate pieces, modeled in, or floating geo?) or in the model above? In the above thread, it seems the op modeled each piece that was separated by a cutline in separately, like puzzle pieces. Is that the way people usually get such clean cutlines or are there other methods? Also, how do you guys go about creating your low poly models from high poly ones, especially if they're all in separate pieces like above?

Lots of questions, I know. Any help, tips, and/or tutorials would be much much appreciated.

Replies