Home Unreal Engine

Textures and Terrain - tiling and procedural texturing in UE3 and UDk

Hi all -

I'm teaching myself UDK, and to help flesh out a design portfolio that I'm going to spend the next 2 years building I'm also teaching myself UE3 so I can easily use the textures and static meshes available there.

So I'm starting off by trying to teach myself how to properly texture
terrain. I have the most basic basics down, but I'm running into some issues when I'm trying to implement some more advanced techniques.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TerrainAdvancedTextures.html

I'm using the above link as a reference.

So I have a big ol' island - I'll post pictures soon, and to help reduce tiling I mixed a texture with a rotated and UV-scaled version of itself (pretty much just copying the technique from "Multi-UV Mixing: Reducing tiling through scalar mixing" from the above link)

The result was definitely.. somehwat reduced tiling. It definitely looked NOWHERE near as good as the example shots though, and tiling was still pretty apparent - just on a less granular scale.

So this all being said:

Do you guys have any idea on how to:

1) Make texture resolutions appear correctly? Clearly there were some settings that I needed to fiddle with that I flat out didn't, because as I walk around in Play mode, my grass texture just seems way too big - blurry when up close, individual blades of grass on the texture being like 4 feet long in in-game space, etc. How should I fix this? Almost all of the texturing terrain tutorials I've seen pretty much stop at "You got texture on the terrain, yay. Good. That's all you gotta do."

2) Reduce tiling effectively? Have you guys used the Mixing textures with scaled versions of themselves and had it work out well?

3) Enact procedural application of multiple textures vis-a-vis height and slope? It's definitely possible, as in the above link under "Texture packing: Implementing large texture tile sets" you can see the results of it, but there are some steps left out of those instructions that I simply don't understand. Any tutorials on the subject? Numerous youtube and google searches on my end haven't unearthed anything...

Specifically "In this example, the TerrainLayerSetup is using four procedural entries for the four TerrainMaterials, and the Height and Slope properties are set so that the results are various cliff and flatland layer varieties." How the crap do they do that?? It seems like such an effective and good-looking method to apply.

Anyway, I apologize if any of these questions are too noobish. I'm finding new tutorials every day and trying to consume as much as I can - it's just that I haven't found really good sources for these specific questions. Any help massively appreciated.

Replies