Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Sniper - Field engineer's kit

I always wanted to make a rifle for Sniper, but never actually started the work. Now this challenge gave me the motivation to do so!

Concept:

The idea is a steampunk-fantasy style rendering of modern modular tactical carbines - that is, a "techy" (as what we would expect from a dwarf) gun with modular options, parts that look like they were attached manually onto the base weapon, and may even be adjustable. Of course, in a much cruder way than modern weaponry, but the whole gun should be more sophisticated than his original, an "elite" weapon, probably issued to special units among the professional gunman if his kin.

Upon the base weapon should be mounted an adjustable scope, an under-barrel shrapnel launcher (as indicated by his Shrapnel spell tooltip, and a bit similar to modern under-barrel grenade launchers), and most likely a foldable bayonet.

It may have adjustable shoulder and face rests like modern sniper rifles, and probably a magazine and some complicated looking mechanism, since his firing speed and animations in-game indicate that his gun is semi-automatic, or at least self-loading since we never see him manually loading shots like with a single-shot muzzle loader.

Since a carbine (as opposed to a rifle) fits the engineer and tactical theme better, and Kardel's original rifle is kinda of short as well, it will look like a carbine rather than a long rifle, and it will be named a carbine as well.

The rest of the set are still under consideration. I start with the weapon, and then I will see what else I will add to the set. A headpiece seems almost sure, the third might be either shoulders or arms. Maybe back. Maybe both. We will see.

Since my personal work flow is such, that - being really a 3D thinker - I don't draw sketches and concept arts, but rather model the items in my mind and start the practical modeling work right away, I will not provide any sketches here either.

The next update will already contain screenshots of the basic boxed out model.

Replies