Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Warlock – Sacrificial Agony

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
Latest Update:

Im pretty sad to say im going to slide on the deadline. I toyed with the idea of submitting some of the mostly finished items, but in the end decided to go with missing the deadline and submitting a quality package to the workshop later. Pretty damm hard choice though. Big congratulations to everyone who finished, incredible work all around!.

Later this week when i have this contract wrapped up ill jump over and make a thread in PnP, will work some tutorials into the mix as well :)

Anyway here is where this stands as of now. Some of these items are further along than others, the staffs textures being super early temp and nasty (it also normally has a giant flame shooting out the top). The Gemstones have a pretty nice shimmer when you see them moving, the shoulder/chest item still needs a heavy detail pass... etc.

warlockpastdue.jpg

warlockpastdue_offhand01.jpg

warlockpastdue_weapon01.jpg

warlockpastdue_weapon02.jpg

warlockpastdue_arms01.jpg

warlockpastdue_hood01.jpg

Replies

• Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    My first day on a new set's usually filled with reference gathering and setting up a pipeline. Which is pretty simple for Dota but still ends up taking a few hours of file management.

Firstly i import all the .SMD files into 3dsmax for the particular character, and setup a simple shader for each asset.

I then create incredibly simple greybox items for each armor section i plan on replacing and save them into their own max files. I then skin these to the respective bones and export them with the correct naming convention into the freshly created directory structure.

warlock_day01_04.jpg

From there i create generic textures in photoshop, usually a flat colour, a flat normal map, and flat grey in a few of the mask channels. This is all about having the files created within the correct directory structure and with the final naming conventions.

warlock_day01_02.jpg

Now that everything should be setup, its a relatively simple task to test each rough greybox in the editor

warlock_day01_03.jpg

Perhaps not the most glamorous of posts but i find getting the rough assets into the game right from the get go saves a bunch time and encourages me to iterate on my artwork seeing as though all i need to do is export, overwrite and Refresh the editor.

I also find seeing my artwork in the game helps to stop me hyper focusing on micro detail.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    I also find seeing my artwork in the game helps to stop me hyper focusing on micro detail.

Damn you, sir! You have crushed one more of my excuses for not finishing with your insufferably efficient ways. Curse youuuuuuuu! ^^

Another benefit of this workflow is that you stay equally organized throughout the whole thing and don't end up with awful naming conventions like "Set_final_V05_ThisTimeImSerious_V02_ForReal_2"
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for sharing your workflow, I'm a heavy micro-detailer and I think I'll try out this workflow for the contest. And I am also guilty of "item_set_wp_final_v4a" naming conventions aswell.
  • Rik
    I'm also giving this workflow a shot, as I tend to waste too much time trying to manage my files. It's also your Export/Import settings that I use, so thanks for the knowledge!
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you liked the workflow, i do still end up with a few "final_V4" files at the end but mostly this keeps things pretty neat.

Additionally i forgot to mention i create a working folder which usually contains these directorys

Wip_Max
    Wip_Mud
    Wip_Photoshop
    Export - (mostly for moving between max and mud)
    Bake

Within these ill have a whole bunch of iterated version files, eg

warlock_head_wip01
    warlock_head_wip02

Im a bit of a saving whore so this mostly keeps everything where it needs to be and easy enough to find.

I also threw together a really quick and nasty silhouette outlining some of the larger shapes im going to run with.

warlock_day02_01.jpg

Mostly im going to give him a tall hat and a layered robe sloping and pointing down at the front, with rolled cuffs to his arms with some interesting patterns and colour variation on the cloth. Im not sure what im going to do with the shoulder shape yet but ill be taking some of the existing symbols and making some trinkets and jewelry out of them.

Anyway i normally wouldn't show the above image but its looking like i have some pretty talented competition and i wanted to make sure i had some of my initial basics published :)
  • TMiuccio
    I like the sloping robes. They fit the Warlock really well. Have you thought about how the weapon will be yet?
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Woo finally some free time for some quick and dirty Mudbox sketches for the Head slot, Shoulder slot and Back slot(which is his belt and lower robe)

warlock_05_02.jpg

and flat color to better see the silhouette

warlock_05_01.jpg

Concerns are polycount/texture rez for the back slot are pretty rough and will likely need some magic to get something nice. The back slot/robe also have what look like some slight 2ndary jiggle or movement which may cause some problems with my robe design.

The chest area is pretty bare in comparison to the original, although ill be trying some designs for trinkets/necklaces/talismans which coupled with the robe patterns should fill that space.

I also still need to add cloth folds (and do proper ones for the other sections) to the robe.

Mostly feeling ok about the direction though, depending on feedback ill refine this some more, likly play with some color designs/patterns for the cloth and work them into a retopoed sculpt. and flesh out the Wrist and Carry bag slots.

TMiuccio - Cheers! and i have thought about the weapon and offhand, im looking to get the robe design and changes fleshed out before i move onto them. Aiming for something pretty epic though :)
  • TMiuccio
    The values for your robes look good, the belt however doesnt seem to pop as much. I really like your step by step process of testing your models. I'm using max as well, do you just attach the model directly to the bone? Do you do any skinning early or only after modeling n texturing is finalized?
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks TMiuccio, ill take another look at the belt, update the buckle and see how it looks if i hang a book from it.

For skinning it depends on the items, if the item is only influenced by one bone then i just use the link tool in Max, really simple and fast. If its more complex then i skin to the relevant bones, although if its just to setup the files i will often just leave the generic weighting as is so i don't get bogged down on what is essentially throw away work.

With the warlock its looking like ill need to spend some time and test the robes, hood and possibly the shoulders with an more refined mesh and reasonable skinning. Mostly due to the movement effecting the final design, i prefer to test up front and make the changes before i do any serious sculpting.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update today with mostly blockout work,

Im looking to carry the black gemstone visible on the trinkets through to all the set pieces with hopes of creating some synergy, especially once i make it to the weapons. Considering how i can work them into the robe patterns (not yet viewable).

Things to change before i do a serious sculpt,
    • Shrink back low side of hood, currently to big.
    • Replace bracer gemstones with final design.
    • Rethink gemstone chest design and how it attaches

warlock_blockout03.jpg

warlock_blockout02.jpg

warlock_blockout_trinkets02.jpg
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to do some early bakes and make sure the designs hold with the polycount/texture rez.

Need to clean a few things up with this one but mostly pretty happy with it, still deciding if i should add a small book hanging from his belt in front to replace the sash on his original robe.

Normal map, game rez mesh, max screengrab.

warlock_robe_bake01.jpg

warlock_robe_bake02.jpg
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    This is to replace his man satchel, the bake for the strap didn't really work out so ill likely re work that once i have his wrists baked out.

warlock_book_bake01.jpg

warlock_book_bake02.jpg
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrists/Arms - rig and basic colors tomorrow, time is far from my friend at the moment :poly122:

warlock_arms_bake01.jpg

warlock_arms_bake02.jpg

will try for some less grey on grey and more in context images when i can.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrists/Arms in game with first pass colour and normals, masks are still 50% grey. Will spend some time on the gemstone when i do a pass on the masks.

warlock_arms_firstpass01.jpg
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Belt slot that replaces his satchel, again first pass texture work.

warlock_backbook_firstpass01.jpg
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lower robe and belt, again early first pass colours with flat grey in the mask files. The belt and buckle have a temp fill colour

warlock_robe_firstpass01.jpg

Rigging this is turning out to be a nightmare, for some of the other characters it hasn't been a problem but for the warlocks robes whenever i load any animation in it just explodes his mesh ... im becoming a master at reloading in editor :poly121:
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    First pass hood, Lod0 and Lod1 200/300 tri respectively. Will need to spend a little time seeing what i can do for the rig with this one, might be able to hook up some of the secondary movement from the robe.

warlock_head_bake01.jpg

warlock_head_firstpass01.jpg

Mostly im happy getting these items in game early and not so pretty, as soon as i see them in context i have a list of needed changes. Anyway onto shoulders and weapons, revisions to everything and then quality passes on textures/shaders.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Nice updates and work flow, I just cleaned up my folder structure today It was getting out of hand. I really like his hat works well, yea the skinning to bones is a bit funny I skinned the clavicle on my entry to my shoulder pieces and it seems his wings pull on a vert =/ weirdness. Always good to get them items in early on you can see all types of clipping issues ect. :)

Nice to see this coming along and your really getting the specs working on your design.*Edit figured out*. :poly142:
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to say im still chipping away at this and should have some meaty updates over the next week.

in the meantime some rough blockouts for the weapons

warlock_weapons_greybox.jpg

Note to self: stop remaking everything :\
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    I ended up doing a pretty heavy rework of the four items, mostly i wasn't pleased with how the robes and hood looked in game, particularly from the top down gameplay perspective.

Going forward i still need to add the orange runes to the hood, and the belt buckle needs to be re made. I also need to do a pass on the gemstones, and im not happy with the gold overall but expect to lift its quality when im working with the final masks.

Max screengrab of the Lod0 arms, head, robe and belt(back book). Currently working on shoulders and both weapons :)

warlock_compilation01.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Damm that's looking nice and clean mate!
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for sharing your workflow and good luck on the contest.
  • ACap
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    Great job, man. It is becoming better and better. Orange runes - good decision, but make them big, do not forger about the distance. Good work, keep it up!
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Im pretty sad to say im going to slide on the deadline. I toyed with the idea of submitting some of the mostly finished items, but in the end decided to go with missing the deadline and submitting a quality package to the workshop later. Pretty damm hard choice though. Big congratulations to everyone who finished, incredible work all around!.

Later this week when i have this contract wrapped up ill jump over and make a thread in PnP, will work some tutorials into the mix as well :)

Anyway here is where this stands as of now. Some of these items are further along than others, the staffs textures being super early temp and nasty (it also normally has a giant flame shooting out the top). The Gemstones have a pretty nice shimmer when you see them moving, the shoulder/chest item still needs a heavy detail pass... etc.

warlockpastdue.jpg

warlockpastdue_offhand01.jpg

warlockpastdue_weapon01.jpg

warlockpastdue_weapon02.jpg

warlockpastdue_arms01.jpg

warlockpastdue_hood01.jpg
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon, marul, ACap - Cheers for the feedback guys, didn't see your posts here :\