Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Professional Project

plk4
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
plk4 polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys, this is as i mentioned my first (serious) texture project and if you could help me to add some final touches to it.
render1.jpg
render3.jpgrender3.jpg
render4.jpg
render5.jpg
render2.jpg
Judge it yourself its my second ever weapon texture made and i am a complete noob when it comes to polycount so if i'm doing anything wrong tell me. Thanks for any help :)

Replies

• wright.tom85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This axe looks like it's pretty well-worn, but the deterioration is inconsistent between the axe and the handle; the wood and rubber grip look pretty new. Go find a fire axe (or the best substitute you can) and note where your hands are on the handle as you mock swing it. Where your hands are more commonly, the wood and rubber are probably going to be darker from skin oil stains.
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    Needs a specular map or something. Right now, at least in the renders, it's pretty dull. I'm pretty new at texturing myself, but it seems like even with a simple object, you're not quite presenting it very well.
  • plk4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plk4 polycounter lvl 6
    ok thanks, noted but i have to admit there is a specular but it doesnt work on max for some reason :/
  • proximity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    proximity polycounter lvl 9
    Download the marmoset trial, or get a veiwport shader for max, Max renders will hinder your work and your workflow.

Until you can set up an amazing render you wont be able to see the maps working together properly where as getting it into marmoset will eliminate this problem and you can see exactly how each map is affecting the object :]
  • plk4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plk4 polycounter lvl 6
    ok downloaded marmoset and here is the result
    RLTkQ.jpg
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    I would expect vertical scratches and some damage on the edges.
    Your have only horizontal damage on the middle of the blade. (Looks like this axe have being used to stop some large machinery) If that is the case, good job! :)
    Think about how this axe have being used, what it have hit (wood, metal, dirty or burning stuff)
    Also the wood looks too course in my opinion. I wouldn´t make a axe with this kind of wood. It looks like it would break.
    Get some real reference and search for those details. (Or google images)
    I hope it helps.
  • plk4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plk4 polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the quick responses :) Well the axe suppose to look old but not very used, more like neglected but ready to kill (the lines are markings after sharpening of the blade)
    FireAxe.png
    that's the reference image that i was given so i tried to stay close to this
    and yes Chillydog12345 i noticed that as well.

Here is yet another screenshot as it may (or may not) give some more information for you.
    D5Oo1.jpg
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    Looks 100x better in marmoset. Lol. It's amazing how knowing how to present your work can completely change how it looks.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    it seems like you tried to save tris on the focal part, the blade, it looks fairly blocky and with smoothing errors , did you make a highpoly for normal baking purposes ? i think you should fix the feel of the model with the normal right now before moving onto the texture.
  • plk4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plk4 polycounter lvl 6
    well i haven't made the model, it was given to me to make a texture for it and pretty much what i have done