Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Spiritbreaker - TBD

JackBauer
null
Really want to do Spirit breaker since he is my favorite hero in game. Still thinking of what I should do. Open to suggestions.

Was thinking of a few interesting ideas to do:

1. A spartan warrior type with the spartan's helm, and the flames coming out of his head representing the fur mohawk part.
2. A biker (Hell's Angels) style with again the flame mohawk, a black studded leather jacket, studded bracers, a bandana around his forehead, leather chaps?
3. An Indian/Native American theme, with a big chieftan hood/mohawk, a tomahawk weapon, body paint, and other indian attire

Replies

• afalbrecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A spartan spirit breaker would be awesome, with spartan body armour and such things! :D
  • JackBauer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackBauer null
    I am in no way a concept artist, nor do I have the necessary tools at the moment to do a well done paint over. but these are quick ones I did for Spiritbreaker.

The spartan warrior, based on the ancient Roman warriors, the movie 300, etc. The idea is to give him the spartan look, with the helmet on, but have his flame effect coming out of the helmet. I am not sure about the cape, but it is pretty standard on a spartan warrior. The pants I may just leave as default or do a cloth kilt-like piece to cover the speedo underwear. I am not sure about what to do for a weapon considering the spartans typically used spear/swords/shields.

33vn7yh.jpg

The second one I really like the idea of, but not sure how it would work. I want to make him look kind of like the Ghostrider and less like the Village People. The only problem I have is it wouldn't be very interesting texture, since he would be wearing all black, with studded spikes. The weapon would be easy, just use the chain mace, make it more chrome and put a ram skull at the end or something. I think this could look really cool in the end with Spiritbreaker's flame particles.

241wkjq.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    I love the first concept, you just have to be careful not to lean on the 300 concept of the Spartan TOO much. Remember, no copywritten material! But like I said, I think it works really well with the hero, just make it your own (easier said than done ^^).
  • JackBauer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackBauer null
    yea I know what you mean, but it is kinda the spartan look, so it is hard not to copy
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Quite. I'd say look at a lot of historically accurate reference as well as some of the other stylized stuff like Immortals (haven't seen it yet but the trailer had some interesting stuff) and find yourself a middle-road kind of deal. Then again, like you said this Spartan design is very iconic, so it might be difficult to stray too far away from it too. ^^
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    you have no chance

Um learn some respect and don't tell people they don't have a chance! Hey good luck dude!
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Um learn some respect and don't tell people they don't have a chance! Hey good luck dude!

He somewhat had a point though, Dota2 does have limits when it comes to what you can do, you could replace the biker idea when some sort of spiked set, with spiked horns, bracers weapon etc
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I like the spartan idea, I also like the biker and I chuckled at the idea but yea limits man, I mean look at that guy who wanted to make the purple... nvrmnd.
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the idea, but it's against the style of a game/character/lore
  • JimoUK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem is both ideas do not match the colour scheme, the lore or the overall look of the character. Dota has a rather strict set of rules compared to TF2.
  • JackBauer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackBauer null
    The color scheme I can change, I did not intend for it to be bright colors, I was actually going to do very dark desaturated colors. The lore I thought was pretty accurate, he is already in gladiator-esque gear, I was just going to make it more gallant, but very dirty as if it had seen a lot of battle.

I googled "Barathrum" and found:

barathrum (plural barathrums)
    1. A pit, especially one at Athens into which criminals were thrown.
    2. The abyss, hell.
    I was thinking kind of like the spartan undead from God of War would portray that accurately. I just really want to do Spiritbreaker, because he is my favorite dota hero and I do not think he will be chosen by many. I also realize he is not an easy character to do. I did not realize how close we had to stick to DotA's lore at first, but I do think the spartan look is relevant. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them

Or maybe like a shackle and chains look, with a skull mace weapon, shackles with broken chains on his wrists and feet, maybe bone shoulders as well
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're taking his name to literal.
  • JackBauer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackBauer null
    After thinking more strictly on the lore, and style of DotA 2 and Spiritbreaker I have come up with this. I am kinda taking from the DotA 1 WC3 version of Spiritbreaker, and combining with Valve's DotA 2 version. DotA 1 Spiritbreaker uses an incense burner as a weapon, I am thinking of using that idea but with a skull as the bowl, the femur may or may not be included. The shoulders are going to be like that of Omniknight in DotA 2, with the large plate pauldrons and the cloth hanging from them. I am trying a more demonic/goat version of his horns, but am unsure about them so far. I also have shackles for his bracers.

24ciibl.jpg
  • Malakay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The shackles look great. You might run into some problems with your skull weapon, since the concept might require too much detail. The horns look nice.