Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Modular in-house level - Hand painted style

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Fureloka polycounter lvl 10
Greetings polycounters,

I'm currently working on a 2.5D in house environment. It's based on a 2D artset which I found at Free Game Graphics, and felt it would be an interesting challenge to convert it into 3D.

This is my very first time texturing 3D models myself, so constructive feedback is more than welcome, especially because I plan to use this project when I apply for an internship at Q-Games.

Each 3D asset is made repeatable, thus a whole new scenery can be created in a few seconds.

Things I've learnt so far; Seamless textures should cover the entire 0,1 UV space, due to the bleeding effect texture filtering creates. Unfortunately I discovered this after the first texture had been finished, boomer :(

Here is my progress so far: (The floor and gate textures are incomplete atm)
modular_inhouse_environment_01.png
modular_inhouse_environment_wireframe_01.png

The "completed" textures: (improvements are definitely needed, methinks)
wall_corner_inside_01.png
wall_corner_outside_01.png

Feedback is highly appreciated!

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Fureloka wrote: »
    Greetings polycounters,

Feedback is highly appreciated!

I think you're going in a really good direction here, keep it simple and don't go too crazy with colors or brightness and then light the environment using omnis to get color variation in there that looks nice.
  • Fureloka
    Offline / Send Message
    Fureloka polycounter lvl 10
    I think you're going in a really good direction here, keep it simple and don't go too crazy with colors or brightness and then light the environment using omnis to get color variation in there that looks nice.

Thanks mate, really appreciate it.

I'll do my best to keep things simple, and hopefully manage to keep everything at the same level. As a general rule of thumb, I keep myself bellow 50% brightness and preferably bellow 70% saturation, not completely sure if its a bad or a good thing to do though.

By lighting the environment with omnis, I'm guessing you're referring to omni lighting? Which in Maya terms, would translate into point lights, am I right? e.g something along this line: point_light_example.png

And then I guess one would batch bake with Mental Ray, using light and colour to texture?

Cheers :)