Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Meepo - The Farmer

tanka
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
tanka polycounter lvl 12
Hi all,

I'm going to be working on a set of farming themed items for Meepo. He's usually farming creeps, but hopefully he'll be sowing seeds and ploughing crops when I'm done with him. :D

I'm planning on giving him a pitchfork, a farmer hat, and some sort of backpack full of farming equipment. :)

More to come.

Replies

• Lam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lam
    hahah, neat idea! this has some great potential. cant wait to see your progress!
  • Qwiggalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Qwiggalo polycounter lvl 8
    Try not to make it 'traditional' or real world looking. Think of his gear in a way that makes sense for his lore. For example: His people are miners, they mine gems and I would imagine they have a ton of mining picks like his default weapon so instead of making a typical pitchfork make it a modified pickaxe.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    That's definitely something I will be taking into consideration.. I think it will be best if I find a balance between fantasy and reality for some items, so it is instantly recognizable as farming equipment. I'm still throwing about ideas though.

My biggest concern at the moment is creating a hat that doesn't break his silhouette. His hood is a very distinguishing feature of Meepo imo.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    I've drawn up some initial concepts for the weapon and headgear, the backpack is going to be completely out there in it's design to balance out these items.

farmermeepoconcept.jpg
  • Jalcober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    Looks awesome!
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Here's an update, I've been mucking around with the backpack.. I'm thinking there might be too much of that yellow straw colour, I might change the rope to a leather strap or something to balance it out. We'll see what happens when I start modelling. :)

farmermeepoconcept2.jpg

I'm thinking about changing his tail too.. I might give him a curly pig tail. :)
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Started blocking out the model.. I added a few extra items, such as a poncho type thing and some wraps around his wrist. The reason being was I wanted balance out the extra yellow straw colour with some more blue. I've also added a pig tail. :D

farmermeepoblockout.jpg
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I LOVE ponchos! Just be careful it doesnt alter his silhuette too much from the top, angle - as mentioned in the guidelines
  • Kraken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    Meepo is great character to customize. Good luck with it!
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    JGcount wrote: »
    I LOVE ponchos! Just be careful it doesnt alter his silhuette too much from the top, angle - as mentioned in the guidelines

Yeah, I don't think I'm breaking the silhouette too much atm.. The poncho is a little overpowering in the front view, but that shouldn't matter too much in game.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    farmermeepoblockoutcolor.jpg

Blocked out the backpack, added some basic colours to the blockout.. I'll push the model a bit more, then start some sculpting.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    meepo_sculpt_01.jpg

Started sculpting some of the items. The hat's looking a bit more like cracked leather than straw at the moment, I guess it could go either way.

I'm going to tweak the concept of the pitchfork a bit more, I think it's a bit too basic.. It needs a bit more character.
  • Vindalia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I absolutely love the bit of straw poking out of his mouth :) As for the pitchfork, perhaps try having something impaled on it? Maybe not too gory, but something to spruce it up a little..in a farmer-ly way. I'm liking the texture of the hat a lot, but I think the front brim could be just a little longer or rolled back a little so it looks for even with the rest of the hat. Good job, and keep it up!
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    meepo_sculpt_02.jpg

I had another go at the hat.. It was annoying me.

It's still not 100%, but on the low poly I'll add a few polys around the edges to give it that tattered look, and I think it'll look really nice. It's a shame I can't use an opacity map with meepo. :(