Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

|CE3] Amir's Arenanet environment test

Replies

• urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    choco wrote: »
    Thanks man, your words gave me some confidence. Very appreciated !
    I'm gonna take everyone's advice and aim for a full time job as a junior artist, but I'll still go all the way with this test and get it done once and for all. I think its going to be a good add to the portfolio. Im going to give myself some artistic freedom since in the end I'm not going to apply for the internship.

Your environments you've done so far (the udk meadow with stone spires and the moody cryengine one) are good enough for a portfolio. Add some props and you're done :)
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    @urgaffel : thanks man, and yea some of the previous works I did could definitely be used as portfolio material. I guess that adding one or two focal points to those environments might help with the finishing touch.

I did another version of the roof texture today.

arenanet_roof_tex_03.jpg

I'm planning to use some decals to break up the silhouette of the roof.
    Needless to say that the other textures (woodframe etc...) will need to be adjusted in order to have overall consistency.

arenanet_roof_tex_03_decals.jpg
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I. Love. Those.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not model those extra parts (essentially just one or two more polygons per edge (idk about your budget though)). It feels like using decals for those big edges at the end of the house might look a bit cheap.
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The new roof texture is awesome and this is coming along nicely. Keep up the awesome work.
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    @Kenny, Joopson : thanks :)

@e-freak : I'm about to try out multiple approaches and see what works best. Maybe using a combination of both techniques will do the trick :thumbup:

Currently testing out some vertex blending for the base wall :

Will add vegetation and slightly tweak the vertex normals to improve the blending later on.
    I might also consider adding some geometry to the base wall to break-up the silhouette (bricks).

arenanet_vertex_blending_01.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    The saturation might be a bit high in your textures now. Or rather, there's a lot of green color on everything..

Btw *cough*
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The moss on the top of the bricks (between bricks and roof) is very lumpy...
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    This is coming along great. The saturation does seem a bit uniform, maybe you could vary that a little just to help break up the monotony a bit.

Cool stuff man.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    This looks great so far, but as people say the moss is very saturated and lumpy looking. Almost as if it was generated from a photoshop cloud filter run through CrazyBump.
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the awesome feedback guys, you made a really good point regarding the overall saturation of the moss. I shall tone it down and spend more time on it. I'm experimenting with different approaches atm to see what works best for the base wall.
    The wierd look of the moss is also probably due to the fact that I'm using 2 essentially different shaders on the house which use different lighting sources (cgfx and maya blin materials).
    The cgfx shader handles lighting differently compared to the native maya shaders which kind made the moss look very lumpy. Doesn't excuse the fact that the color was way too saturated tho.
    Keep in mind that the mossy area is supposed to be covered by some vegetation allowing me to balance the colors by adding some yellow, red and purple to break up the monotony.

I might spend some time doing some paint overs to see which color scheme works best with the house.
    Any suggestions regarding that would be highly appreciated.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work so far Choco!
    My advice at this stage would be to concentrate less on making pretty textures and more on making a pretty shot/building first. Maybe fiddle with geometry more. If they indeed canned the env. test you could use some extra tris to make the thing pop.
    Check this one out:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108031
    It doesn't seem like the guy went scrupulously from texture to texture. In fact texture alone aren't that impressive but he has a coherent and comprehensive piece that works wonders.

Also why is moss on top of the foundation like that? It's almost like snow. Moss grows where it's cold and damp, which usually the part that get less wind and sun(crevices, or northern side of the object if you're in the northern hemisphere.)

Anyway, keep up the good work and looking forward to you making it awesome.
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the advice d!ver, I'm actually going to build a whole scene for the final shot in CE3 with a video presentation. The screenshots I've shown so far are by no means meant to be used as presentation. These are just WIP screenshots showing where I'm at and what I'm working on.
    Adding geometry to the borders to break up the silhouettes is in the plans thats for sure :)

Here's a test I did today for the roof for example :
    The borders are actual geometry with some thickness since the decals method looked cheap like e-freak mentioned.
    Its a double-edged sword since its kinda expensive polycount wise.

arenanet_roof_silhouette_01.jpg
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Choco, I know you're goal to keep your stuff for this scene under a certain polycount is important to you, but in all honesty, do not fret over polygons.

I get a lot of flack because my work supposedly has "more poly's than necessary," but I really don't believe it's true. I also have a lot of support from people who argue FOR my methods of using more polygons than less....ESPECIALLY when the topic of using extra texture maps such as height / displacement instead of more polygons comes up.

The point is, using more polygons is almost ALWAYS better than using more texture maps, or things like tesselation, height, displacement maps, whatever. So just go ahead and model out some extra details to get that silhouette looking good =]
  • mbischof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yahhhh!!!! buddy, loving the roof tiles; keep rocking it out!
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the roof ending looks awesome :) i'd say for a Lod 0 building defo worth it!
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Yes, it's true. I don't know about Arena Net's engine in question, but nearly all modern game engines struggle much less with polygon count than they used to, but they still choke up over drawcalls and shader complexity; the more texture maps, the more drawcalls. Those stack up. Realtime lighting is another issue too.

Heck, the PS2 could take 2 million polygons on the screen without a drop in framerate.

Higher polycounts are an issue of the past (within reason). Worry more about shader complexity, texture size, and drawcalls. See if you can make it a practice to have all of your modular textures that you use for a scene on one or two texture sheets (of course you'll have to seperate diffuse from normal and spec, etc). That's a fairly common practice, though it's not possible with every situation. Do it where you can.

And combine them after you've sized them down. Photoshop doesn't reduce combined sheets too well.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    I agree with much of the advice in this thread, the limits mentioned are more realistic to what would be observed in a production environment and you would likely have a whole bunch of wiggle room to stretch them once in a position. But this is a test, following the limits imposed (even if outdated) are not just about realistic limits but your ability to follow direction, which is pretty important when your artwork is so damm good it may just intimidate the people hiring you :).
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks so much better...
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Hey choco, just a quick question if you don't mind me asking. I saw this post and I was wondering what polycount you try to stick to for each stone? Not looking for exact numbers but just curious if you go for millions of polys per stone or stick to less than that. I tried a similar setup but it really hogged down my system. Any pointers would be awesome. :) Thanks and nice job on the roof above.
  • vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vemadesign polycounter lvl 12
    It's looking awesome! :)
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Choco! Question about your Texturing Process you outlined. Where do you bake your Curvature map? Because CrazyBump doesn't seem to do it, and the map xNormal shoots out looks nothing like that.
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks guys. I'll be adding some definition around the corners for sure.
    There is no need to keep myself from going over 3000 triangles anymore.
    Might as-well create LODs for the house.

@Brygelsmack : I useally work with stones that have less then 40k polys. Smaller stones need even less polys. You might wanna turn on viewport 2.0 and disable 2 sided lighting.
    When duplicating the highpoly stones in maya and doing the placements, you'll need to use instance objects. So instead of hitting Ctrl+D , use Ctrl+Shit+D to create in a instance of the selected object.
    Works basically like game engines. Instances a rendered faster then unique objects.
    With this setup you can easily work with over 20 million polys in maya at over 30 fps.
    (I personally went up to 45 million polys and it was still running smoothly).

Also you might want to organize your assets in the scene with the layer system so that you can easily hide/unhide objects.

@Joopson : Crazybump's curvature maps are probably more suited for tiled textures or flat textures.
    Xnormal would give you better results in any case since you're using a raytraced method which allows you to control the sharpness of the highlights for example.

I'd use Xnormal's curvature map for models that are being baked since crazy bump's curvature map transfers the gradients that are present on the normal map to the curvature map as seams.

Started detailing the edges of the house and did a quick paint-over for the vegetation.

arenanet_wip01.jpg

arena_net_house_sketch.jpg

Also started to train myself at painting some clouds for making the future skybox.

doodle_01.jpg
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Well, what I meant was, I don't even see that option in CrazyBump.
    And for xNormal, I would bake one, and it would be 3 colours, which was bizarre. But then I took another look in the settings, changed it to "Monochrome", and I started getting results akin to yours.
    So yes, thanks! I learn a lot from you and your process. Thanks for being so open about sharing techniques and stuff!
  • ridvancakir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good, good going. Sky painting look awesome, ın this sky painting have any reference ?
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    You welcome Joopson, and yea I forgot to mention that you needed to switch the option to Monochrome. I'm guessing that the colored version allows you to split the curvature map by direction XYZ (not sure tho).

@ridvancakir : thanks man, and yea I used some reference photographs which I took from my balcony haha
    Had to learn how to shoot proper photos in overcast situations.

sky_03.jpg
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brygelsmack : I useally work with stones that have less then 40k polys. Smaller stones need even less polys. You might wanna turn on viewport 2.0 and disable 2 sided lighting.
    When duplicating the highpoly stones in maya and doing the placements, you'll need to use instance objects. So instead of hitting Ctrl+D , use Ctrl+Shit+D to create in a instance of the selected object.
    Works basically like game engines. Instances a rendered faster then unique objects.
    With this setup you can easily work with over 20 million polys in maya at over 30 fps.
    Lots of great info, appreciate it! (:
  • ZeroCartin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroCartin polycounter lvl 16
    Those are some sick clouds! love them!
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    @ZeroCartin : thanks man

Finished detailing the roof borders, the process was very tedious because of the nature of the mesh. Had to add geometry without destroying the UVs leading me to do lots of manual work.

Next thing on the list is the roof top then I can move on to brick stone area and finally the plaster walls.

arenanet_detailed_roof_borders.jpg
  • ProjectInertia
    Very nice. Is there any plan to add pom to the stone base?
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If he's on CE3 I think he should use tessellation instead.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POM is probably cheaper and sufficient for this kind of environment (heck, for the actual art test, the normal map is enough).
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Looking sexy as usual Choco, forgive my ignorance but what is POM?:\
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    nice work - will follow the progress
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e-freak wrote: »
    POM is probably cheaper and sufficient for this kind of environment (heck, for the actual art test, the normal map is enough).
    Iirc it's not an art test anymore. :D

praetor187 wrote: »
    Looking sexy as usual Choco, forgive my ignorance but what is POM?:\
    Parallax occlusion mapping.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_occlusion_mapping
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Iirc it's not an art test anymore. :D

Well, it's not always good taking every cool feature you can find in an engine, and just throwing it onto stuff cause it's cool. If your goal is to make something look cool, no matter what, then sure. But if you'r doing a portfolio piece it's important showing that you can make awesome art without shitloads of shader features.

Then, if displacment would make this crazy good looking and really bring it up. Go for it!

For thouse who don't want to click the wiki link, POM is self occluding parallax bump mapping..
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing that bugs me a bit with the roof texture is that there are a lot of vertical lines on the shingles. It's a bit late to mention that now but what the hell, I figure you can handle it ;) And it's not like you need to do anything about it if you don't want to, still looks good.
  • Kushy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kushy polycounter lvl 9
    Inspiring work man, subscribed!

Do you mind giving a quick insight to what method you are creating your normal maps, for example for the wooden beams ?

Big up
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Choco: How are you assembling the geometry for your stone wall textures in maya without it taking several hours to do so? I really don't have a weak machine (by all accounts it's a beast), but trying to emulate the way I saw you do those stone walls my machine locks up and just can't handle the massive amount of geometry. Any pointers, or possibly alternate workflows you can suggest would be awesome.
    Let me know!
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon wrote: »
    Choco: How are you assembling the geometry for your stone wall textures in maya without it taking several hours to do so? I really don't have a weak machine (by all accounts it's a beast), but trying to emulate the way I saw you do those stone walls my machine locks up and just can't handle the massive amount of geometry. Any pointers, or possibly alternate workflows you can suggest would be awesome.
    Let me know!
    Always give these threads a read, you never know what might be hiding in there. Quote from the previous page:

I tried it and it works great.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Thanks for catching that, Brygelsmack! I'll give it a shot tomorrow at work. :)
  • futurepoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is turning out really great Choco. I can't wait to see this in your environment.
  • MakaoCloud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really turning out awesome! Can't wait to see the finished result!
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Tessellate it Choco. Or add some Parrallax Occlusion Mapping.
    Great job btw.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    any update? would love to see further progress on this
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    If I remember correctly I saw somewhere that the environment portion of the internship is no longer available.
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks guys, I've been very busy lately so I'll be back with some updates tomorrow or in a few days :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator