Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brawl Style Challenge - Kuma (Tekken) - Staffs Uni

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Nemecys polycounter lvl 9
Hey Guys,

For our Advanced Modelling we have to take an existing character from a standard fighting game like Tekken or Super Smash Bros. and re-imagine them with a realistic art style.

I have chosen to try and re-imagine Kuma as if he were a human.
zniWx.jpg
The above image shows Kumas development and progression through the Tekken games,
1: Tekken 3
2: Tekken 4
3: Tekken 5
4: Tekken 6
5: Tekken Tag Tournament 1/2

Research

This is ome but not all of my research

- Kuma Loves Panda:
He has a caring side as well as an animalistic side, he is very loyal and devoted to Panda even though she isn’t to him. ( Loving, Affectionate, Determined )

- Kuma and Heihachi
A pet and his Master, there is a shared bond between them, even though Heihachi exploits almost everyone he meets. It seems almost as if Kuma treats Heihachi as his father more than his master, especially with the way he responded to his apparent death. They are very playful with each other, and Kuma seems to consider he is equal to Humans with his ability to run the Mishima Zaibatsu. (Loyalty, Devotion, Intelligence)

- Middle Aged
He would be a man in his 40’s If his age was 11 at the time, meaning he is still more than capabale of fighting and his mental age should also scale properly. This is based on his understanding and ability to speak Japanese, and run a Zaibatsu single handedly.
( Wise, Strong, Capable )

---

List of Characteristics

- Affectionate
- Emotional
- Determined
- Loyal
- Devoted
- Intelligent
- Wise
- Strong
- Capable

With all these above characteristics it should be easier to find other Video Game characters of a similar Disposition to Kuma and reveal what sorts of features and aspects are pushed forward to highlight this.

Moodboards

This was some reseach into other Human-Animal hybrid characters with different renditions in varying contexts.
This was just to get a feel of what is a common feature among them all and what I should be looking to highlight in my idea.

fCjIF.jpg
3flkh.jpg
jOEqF.jpg

Replies

• Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7PqEb.jpg

Just a quick example of my process from taking an extremely poorly created base mesh, into ZBrush to get a quick very versatile new mesh to work on

YMts5.jpg

Mainly progress focused in the Torso and Arma, If anyone has any AWESOME reference for forearms or any secrets could you share,
    My forearms are the weakest part of the model I think
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just spent about an hour or two on the head, bulking in some more recognizable form
    HSWpD.jpg

The head was sculpted without reference so I will need to find appropriate reference for my model and try and incorporate some of the details,

Now that its already blocked out, It should be a lot easier to mould it into a more unique character
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    hi there, before you get in and start sculpting details, you need to go over your proportions a bit. Currently, your character's head is too large in relation to his body. For a tekken esque character, you should probably be trying to aim for about 8 heads in height, so scale his head down to those kind of sizes, and use the tekken characters as reference while doing so.

His legs are also too short, if you take a measurement from the top of the head to the crotch, that distance should be roughly the same as from the crotch to the bottom of the feet, yours are currently too short

reference is key, gather a much as you can, your university might have a 3d.sk account you can use and if not, it's definately worth getting one for a few months and downloading as many images as you can. Beyond that, just use google, you can find reference for anything if you look hard enough. Just type in forearms and you'll get some good stuff, also try to look at body builder pictures and muscle diagrams to get a sense for what the muscles actually look like under the skin
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Mr_Ace,

Thanks a lot for the input, I have been working in quite a strange way for this project, my full body reference is quite flat, thank you for the notes, I never thought to look at Tekken as reference purely because I was worried id end up copying mistakes in character forms, I shall definately take a look into that now :)

Unfortunately my Uni doesn't have a 3D.SK account and now that you mention it, they really should or at least a plethora of reference,

Ive been using Body-building.com and body space to get a few shots of people, but action poses really don't help when your trying to sculpt relaxed/generalised muscle form, I find it often interferes, perhaps im looking at it wrong.

Okay ill spend a few more hours on this and post an update soon, ill be sure to find some more reference :)

Thanks
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GWxx6.jpg

I built up a HUGE folder of reference like recommended, Im still collecting some as a I go along, I think i have fixed the issues with the Form, I'm struggling to get him any taller than about 7 and 1/2 heads,

Would it help if i made his head smaller?

He is also 3 Heads across, and Im SURE thats too wide for someone of 7.5 heads height...

Would that indicate his head is too long?

As for my anatomy, i have had a play and experimented with some tools, I've figured out Standard brush is very good for taking away mass near the insertion point, and easily smooths back out, giving a nice layered look to the muscle skin and fat

Thanks for the help guys :)
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qimBL.jpg

Why is it every man I model comes out looking like the silver surfer with tiny feet :|

Either way, I think i've made some progress, again bulk of the focus and detail is in the upper body, I'm still waiting on some more reference from 3D.sk I dont want to go in with the detail too much until im 100% that the form in this pose is correct.

I often find other poses distract me from my own, and I lose all sense of proportion,

Need to get rid of my "Oven Mitts" as well, hopefully Dynamesh can help with that one :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I think its a good start - I think you subdivided way too early though, you should go down a level or 2 and work more on proportions and silhouette. Keep going with it!
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Torch,

Thanks, yea the "New" workflow I tried using seems to be a bit destructive,
    I decided to use Dynamesh to insert the fingers......

Now my lowest SubDiv is at 500k tris, Oh well its a bit more work but I'll get there...

But Its weird to see how BAD my model was before when I was using a mish mash of references,
    And how easy it is once you have a nice solid source and you really concentrate on the muscle, Its hardly any time at all for such an improved result

dyLuu.jpg

Minus the Deathly Hollow face of Satan, I think i've really got a good understand on how to mimic the muscle Inserts, Hopefully now the form is finally sorted :) or at least I hope so,

Not sure about his hands though, do they look too big?
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zukbF.jpg

Quick update, Can you guess what book I just got? :P
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JhOo8.jpg

The REALLY bad parts mean I haven't touch them just blocked out some form so its shapely, need to go and move down the body in detail

But anyone who hasn't really should get the Zbrush Digital Sculpting book,

I can't not vouch for it, I wish i'd got it sooner, Its so helpful in guiding you through the tools and the techniques and muscle anatomy, its so much easier to understand than a full anatomical human muscle chart.

If anyone else is having issues with body modelling, just take this book and look at the pictures that is all i've done so far, If you get stuck read after,

But I recommend you do get it either way, and definitely read it at some point... don't just look at the pictures :P
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LGnlx.jpg

Another quick update, someone else mentioned the hands looked too big?

What do you reckon?
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o53ED.jpg

6IHMN.jpg

Areas for Improvement

- Butt needs work,
    - So does Clavicle/Scapula
    - Hands? Small, Big or Okay?
    - Lower Back / Lats
    - Legs and Biceps strange form

I think im developing carpal tunnel, so any C&C while I rest is appreciated
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    l3VWm.jpg

First attempt at Cloth :)
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr4zy.jpg

Adding more kuma related items

Bracelet and Bandanna to be added, not sure where to add bandanna though, without it lookng too gangster
  • Eterasai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you completed this character? May i see the results, please?