Home General Discussion

Budget Systems

My second thread related to buying a new PC.
This time, I'm experimenting with what I could get for a lowest possible price, since saving over £1,000ish would take a while longer than expected (unexpected costs struck me recently).

How would a ready-to-ship build like this hold up in terms of using Max, UDK and Photoshop simultaneously?
http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=1346

Currently, I have a 2.4Ghz Dual Core, 4GB RAM and a nVidia 9300M GS with 512Mb VRAM. Is an improvement like the above worth the expenditure or should I wait (and use this agonising antique further in the meantime. It makes a grinding sound whenever it's on and almost crashes every time I open the Render to Texture dialogue)?

Replies

• Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Looks like a solid upgrade though I would look at more ram and an ssd. Overview lists 1 gb video card but full specs says 2 gb.
  • DavePhipps
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    If I were building a budget system I would reuse whatever I can from the old system.
    Ebay the old mobo, CPU, video card, and RAM to recoup some expenses.

Get new mobo, RAM and video card. Get as much RAM as you can afford. Install it in your old case and reuse your old HDD and optical drive.
  • Acid_Wire
    JMYoung: Thanks for the input - found out that price was with the OS, which I don't need to buy from them. Without that, I can go solid state and get 16GB RAM (and still afford it)
    DavePhipps: I'm using a laptop at the moment :P
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    DavePhipps wrote: »
    If I were building a budget system I would reuse whatever I can from the old system.
    Ebay the old mobo, CPU, video card, and RAM to recoup some expenses.

Get new mobo, RAM and video card. Get as much RAM as you can afford. Install it in your old case and reuse your old HDD and optical drive.

+1

last year I was able to build an i5, 16gb ram, 128gb SSD system for just under 500$ by recycling my power supply, case, GPU and secondary storage. Just make sure all your connectors match up. I had to get a couple parts i thought i could recycle because they were still running on IDE connections
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I think we need a 'PC buying/building' subforum in Technical talk. There is such a thing on another forum I use and its very popular.

The one thing that strikes me about those specs is that it has an i5 processor. So no multi-threading like with the i7.

Also its not a great idea to suggest getting 'as much RAM as he can afford'. Windows home premium has a 16gb cap, what if he only has that? His mobo is likly to have that cap too depending on its age.
  • Acid_Wire
    How important is the difference between i5 and i7?

Also I have Windows 7 Ultimate. Actually got it for free because Microsoft wanted to apologise for delaying the delivery of my webcam :3
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Acid_Wire wrote: »
    How important is the difference between i5 and i7?

Depends if you use software that uses multithreading. A google search will tell you that fastest.