Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male Assasin

Hey,
been working on the project of my second game character for about 3 weeks now. Decided to create a WIP thread for it for the purpose of getting critique as well as tips on it, as I'm still learning.

Enough of the talk, heres my current progress:
kALYQ.jpg

As well as the refsheet here for it right here:
9YoqS.jpg

Would love to get some feedback,
Nico.

Replies

• wahtye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,
    here's the baked down lowpoly of the character.
    Currently working on the textures.

YoeZY.jpg
  • Johan3043
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work! He looks really cool, looking forward to see him textured! Thinking of trying to create a Character of my own. You have any tips about any good tutorials out there?
  • wahtye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,
    thanks for your feedback.
    Depending on your current knowledge in Character Modeling I can recommend you a few things.

I've learned a lot about sculpting in ZBrush from the streams of "RuN". Not sure if he usually does these, but here's the twitch link with a few VoDs:
    http://www.twitch.tv/run__

Zbrushcentral also has a few great tips if you search through the forums closely.

The 3dsmax part I've mainly learned by myself as well as by a few teachers, so I can't really recommend any good tutorials on that.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Neck looks a tad short, and you could probably define the arm muscles a little better. Besides that I like the design, kind of reminds me of The Witcher a little bit.
  • wahtye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,
    thanks for the feedback.
    The arms have been a problem, yea. Especially in the silhouette theres nearly no definition. So definitely gonna work over that on the lowpoly again.

Not sure about the neck though, gonna check on that.
    Glad you like the character design though, it somehow looked pretty boring to me, but I actually couldn't figure out why yet.
  • wahtye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,
    here's the current progress on my diffuse map.
    It's a 2k texture, but not entirely finished yet.

oOvKV.jpg

Also tried to fix my arms, so they actually have some silhouette.
    Fixed some small anatomy flaws that made the character look weird as well, such as him having X-legs while representing a heroic char.
    I believe it looks a bit better and more interesting in the silhouette now:

Oaccg.jpg
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    regarding the silouette, i believe his palms are too flat, and his ankles too thick. generally his legs are too thick. nice work so far!
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    I think some of the stuff you're wrestling with may stem from the proportions of the base anatomy you're working from. I'm not an expert (or even very knowledgeable at all) when it comes to anatomy, so take all this with a grain of salt, but here's some stuff I'm seeing that seems off:

1. The pectoral-deltoid-bicep area needs a little love, there should be a lot more of an undercut where the bicep runs under the pec, and the deltoids seem like they might protrude forward a little too far.
    2. As was mentioned, his hands and feed are a little small.
    3. Bicep/tricep area is a little too swollen, and the bicep/forearm transition isn't very defined. But you mentioned you were working on this already.
    4. Torso is a little long and the belly button is too low (of course you can't see it so this doesn't really matter :) ) Actually the torso might just look too long because of the belly button thing...
    5. Upper legs are too long relative to lower legs. Also they're too wide, he kid of flares at the hips which makes him look a little feminine.
    6. Ankles are a little bit thick.

Once again, I definitely don't really know what I'm talking about so you should definitely grab some ref and trust it over me. But since you haven't gotten a ton of anatomy feedback so far I figured I'd throw some in even if it's not expert-level.

You mentioned that you might want to change the silhouette some; I think you could get a lot of mileage by thickening up his bracers with some interesting details and maybe giving him a piece of armor, or a shoulder pad, or something similar. You could maybe also mess with the tops of his boots to add more stuff to the silhouette.

Hope this is helpful!
  • wahtye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,
    due to my personally set deadline I'm going to stop working on this character now.
    Here's the final version of it, hope you enjoy.

turntable.gif

n8U7K.jpg

BvR4E.jpg