Home Technical Talk

HDRI Tips?

Hello,

I'm doing a 3D Visualisation module (Using 3DS Max) as part of my university course and wanted to get some tips on how to basically use HDRI in my scene. The vehicle I've been modelling just has the mental ray "Carpaint" and some chrome "Arch and Design" shaders.

I researched a few things but never really had any good results. I have used Mentalray and vRay before but never used HDRI as part of the final render. I've had a look at the moofe.com where they have selection of HDRI and back plate references. Had abit of trouble working out how to place each element in the scene. I've looked at tutorials and such but seem to vaguely rush over the key points I must be missing.

Something I tried:

- I have one of the back plates as an environmental map in the scene (Pressing "8").

- I added a skylight to the scene with the HDRI image onto the map slot.

- Mental ray renderer with Global Illumination.

I rendered the scene and it looks pretty terrible, the vehicle is also transparent. I guess I may have missed some key composition features. I know it's not a case of simply putting maps into the scene and expecting top results. I Just need some direction on this. Maybe someone can point me into the right direction here.

Thanks again.

Replies

• Rukey
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Rukey,

I'll recommend you to take a look at www.hdrlabs.com
    and download the Sibl plugin, I used it in production to startup environment lighting and
    works ace so far. From there you can start to refine and add more lights to your rig,
    but its a very good start.

Hope this helps.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also make sure you are using the proper gamma.

2.2 for input images (except linear files such as .exr or .hdr, bumps are also considered linear even if they are sRGB files)

and if you are doing compositing in nuke or other soft, DO not bake the gamma on output but rather leave it linear at 1.0

If you are doing post solely in photoshop then Yes, do bake the gamma at 2.2 sRGB. Because photoshop won't know how to interpret correctly linear files (1.0 gamma).