Home Digital Sketchbooks

Unnatural Selector High Poly Critique

LightningShard5
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
LightningShard5 polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone, I'm looking to get some feedback on my high poly model before I start making the low poly. I'm not to great at this so anything will do. I am specifically looking for a few answers as well.

1. What is a good low poly tri count of a model like this?
2. Is it possible to make the tubes against the gun a normal, but turn into a mesh as it begins to extrude?
3. Should I normal the pipes,or would it just be best to use a mesh for most?
4. How many sides should I make the cylinders that will replace the tubing and other parts?

Thanks for the feedback!

render1i.png

render2q.png

Replies

• fayesmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fayesmith polycounter lvl 7
    That's a really nice model; the silhouette is very interesting.

My 2 pennies:

1. What is a good low poly tri count of a model like this?

This would depend on what it was used for, an example being a gun used in a first person shooter would be higher as it's right in front of you.
    I'd try to optimise without changing the shapes too drastically - perhaps someone else can give you a more specific answer.

2. Is it possible to make the tubes against the gun a normal, but turn into a mesh as it begins to extrude?
    You could put the small tubes on the normal of the barrel area, but it might not look as extruded as you'd like.

3. Should I normal the pipes,or would it just be best to use a mesh for most?
    You could always experiment and see which ones you like best (:
    If you baked it down then you could get away with less round tubes, maybe even 3 sided for the smaller tubes if you're not too close to it.

4. How many sides should I make the cylinders that will replace the tubing and other parts?

This depends again :P For the main barrel I wouldn't go less than 10.

Feel free to disregard though haha