Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: VascoGDM

null
Offline / Send Message
VascoGDM null
Now that I'm a fully fledged member, thought I would start of by creating my own thread for a Digital Sketchbook.
Show of my work, what I am currently doing and get advice.

1. Little Chef (Teen years)
This is looking back at a character I created in University, that I wish to recreate younger. Partly to brush up on my character creation/modelling skills and partly to give him an origin story, something I can work with to make a mini webseries.

LittleChefPresentation_zpsd30a6cdajpg

2. The Alchemist
A more recent project that I have started about the relationship between a grumpy disgruntled alchemist and his unbeknownst protege. Set between 1646-1670s London, it would be a short film/animation (have not decided if its live action or animated), about 10-15 minutes long.
Still trying to figure out what I want the boy to look like, but I have a firm vision in my head that all his inventions are colourful with lots of greens, blues, red, yellow and orange. It is supposed to be like his passion went into the work, making it colourful and now he lost his passion and everything he makes is dull and colourless.

FinalAlchemistConcept2_zpsa6d9490fjpg

3. "Centrix: An Engineers Odyssey" or "Bad Luck Joe" (cant decide on title)
Another more recent project set in space. I tried to tone the idea down a bit more due to lack of resources, this one will be a side scrolling game accompanied by a webseries.... or just a webseries if I can't find any programmers for my game.
It is about an engineer on a small ship that gets attacked by aliens, he races to the escape pod and flies off in time. He is found on another bigger spaceship... that also gets attacked and again he escapes. No one ever believes his stories of aliens, I mean the human race has scoured the entire galaxy and found nothing, but these new visitors are from another galaxy.
The art style (or at least colours) are inspired by fifth element, hope that is noticible.

Final3Engineers_zps75715160jpg

4. Robots Galore
Visiting an old project I left alone, I felt more confident that I can do it this time. So here I am making a model of a yellow robot I found from "Creaturebox's" concept gallery (which is awesome by the way, so check it out). I am also looking through Digital Tutors who I recently subscribed too about concept art and modelling hard surface characters.

RobotPresentation_zps3d73be25jpg

So yea, thats my predicament, unless I organise myself properly, push myself to shelve some of these ideas till I am better equipped, I am just gonna keep going back and forth.
At the moment I am leaning towards finishing the Robot and the Little Chef, since the other two I have no delusions, I can't do them on my own. Once I have more friends or at least better command of people to seek them out on the internet, I will have a small team working on those 2 ideas.

Cheers and till next time

Replies

• VascoGDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VascoGDM null
    Well 3 years later and my work has changed dramatically. Lots of self study with Digital Tutors, lots of advice and critiques from artists at conventions and meetups. Learned new software and techniques like Mudbox, Zbrush, dDo and Substance Designer. Still pretty new at all those, but getting stronger with Zbrush and Substance Designer, both of which are becoming a big part of my workflow in texturing alongside Photoshop.

Anyway, here is some work that I'm happy to show of:

d759175b-e837-474e-b004-e65bf9655ae3.jpg
    Pod Racer made in 3DS Max after diverging from a Digital Tutors Course

L1A1%20Wireframe.png
    L1A1.png
    L1A1 made in Maya, textured with Substance Designer - This was to be used in UE4 in a first person shooter.

At this very moment, I have two projects running. The first project is a first person shooter I am making modular environment assets. So far I have built all the assets on Maya, as seen in this video:
    [vv]127416123[/vv]
    First wall to texture in Zbrush, than Substance Designer is the 3-Arch Wall
    ZBrush%20-%203Arch%20-%20wireframe.png
    ZBrush%20-%203Arch.png

And also made a single collapsed Wall
    Zbrush%20-%20LoPoly%20-%20wall%20-%20wireframe.png
    Zbrush%20-%20LoPoly%20-%20wall.png

My Second project is a stylized building I am calling the Upturned Moon Inn. It is based of this concept piece I found on Pinterest, created by Catell-Ruz, more of her work can be found here: http://catell-ruz.deviantart.com/

So far, I've blocked out the building, very very roughly.
    BlockedOut.png

And modelled a Barrel, which I then sculpted in Zbrush and textured with Substance Designer.
    Barrel_Wood.png

So that is quite a bit for one single post, just wanted a catch up on what I have been doing all this time. There is more work that I started and abandoned, but I felt it was better to show this first.

Well, thanks and comment, critique, wait patiently for more work, I'll see you guys soon. (Hopefully most definitely sooner than 3years.)
  • VascoGDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VascoGDM null
    Still working with the same two projects, and making headway.

First off, the "War Legacy" project, I have created a new gun the STG44 and recreated the L1A1 since I had improved my workflow.

Along with improving my workflow and texturing on guns, I have also begun improving my texturing of environments and building modular assets. On the project, I am building the environment for a Trench Bunker set in WW1 So far I have building modular assets for the walls, floor and a few planks.

With these I had created a quick corridor to see how well the pieces fit together.

Now for my second project, "The Upturned Moon Inn". I have not made as much progress, The barrel from before had been made, and to expand on that section of the environment I created the Market Stall.

Needless to say, It will probably need to be reworked. I will be returning to it as soon as I am finished with the Trenches Environment.

Once again, any comments or critiques most welcome, thanks for scrolling through my work and have a nice day.