Home Technical Talk

MAYA IK problem

juguefre
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
juguefre polycounter lvl 11
Does anyone know what is happening here? each time I try to set any IK solver in maya I end up with this:

doqxck.jpg

ifo137.jpg

thakns in advance for your help.

Replies

• Pola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    Flipping? What are your local rotation axes like along the bone chain?
  • juguefre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the local rotation are all aligned correctly.......can anyone confirm if the is caused by my completely moronic way of building that leg bones "straight line from the hip to the floor"
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    did you use a pole vector contrain to fix your knee to the facing direction?
  • Alismuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Draw it not in a straight line, but with the knee joint(s) further out than the hip and ankle joints in the direction you need it to bend
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Hi Juguefre!

It believe it's pretty much what Alismuffin and fade1 said.

A polevector, together with having the knee joint slightly outwards, in the opposite way of where it should bend will help the IK solver understand how to "bend" the joints.

Another tip:

For legs and arms, go to the IK handle options and under "current solver" choose "ikRPsolver" instead of the standard "ikSCsolver".

"ikRPsolver" stands for inverse kinematic rotate plane solver. The difference between the standard one (inverse kinematic single chain solver), is that a rotate plane IK handle uses the rotate plane solver to figure out the rotations of all the bones in its chain, and, more or less, ignores the overall orientation of said joints in the chain. Instead, the IK rotate plane handle takes it's rotate information from the polevector (and twist disc), unlike the sc solver that would base it's calculations entirely on the orientation.

For adding a polevector, i found this in a quick google search:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJylWVKkWgc"]Smart Pole Vector Constraint Set-Up - YouTube[/ame]

good luck and keep at it!
  • juguefre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you all guys, yes it was all my fault when I built the skeleton.