Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook - Caelan

Hey guys! I'm new around here- I've been looking for a good art community/forum to participate in for a while now, and this seems like a great place! I'm a senior (plus a little...) at SCAD right now, with a focus in concept art for the game industry. Critique is always welcomed and desired!

I don't have any of my most recent 'sketchbook' type stuff scanned just now, so here's a scatter-shot of some of my work from the past year or so.

through-the-snow.jpg

frost-canyon.jpg

lower-caste-food.jpg

Char-Lineup.jpg

earthdun.jpg

weapdet.jpg

I'm not looking to go into 3D modeling, but I knew it was a skill I would need to pick up, so I took a class in it earlier this year. I have textured once prior to this but it had been years ago... I am planning on doing the texture work for a game I'm starting on with a few other people, however. Anywho, these are my first two models! Both in Maya.

owlbox.jpg

airship.jpg

That's it for now- thanks so much for looking at my work, folks! If you want to see more, I've got a lot up at my website.

Replies

• Caelan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally caught up a bit on scanning!

These are just a couple scrappy pages from my smaller sketchbook that I carry around. I've been learning to sketch in pen, something I have avoided previously... just recently I've let go of trying to achieve perfection in sketches like this, and to just draw something and then move on to the next thing. This has helped me immensely in attaining the ability to 'draw with authority/confidence', which is something I hadn't even realized I was doing into professors and the like started remarking on it. It's 80% bullshit, but that doesn't matter so much considering the benefit!

tumblr_mb733yZCb21qjtkjgo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mb733yZCb21qjtkjgo2_r1_400.jpg

tumblr_mb73e3beHY1qjtkjgo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mb73e3beHY1qjtkjgo3_1280.jpg
  • Caelan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A couple weeks ago, I spend a few days doing eyeballed studies from a huge collection of photos I had pulled together as visual inspiration/reference material for a game I'm beginning development on with a few other people. I wound up doing 46 pages of these, but I'll just include a few; they didn't scan too well.

I don’t have a natural ability with fashion or architecture or pattern, and so I find that the only way I really absorb that sort of information is to redraw it. In doing so I mentally analyze and break down the component parts to a degree I never would just looking at the image, and time and time again I find myself uncovering little details or ways of putting things together that I wouldn’t have thought of myself.
    Once I have drawn things this way, I find it much easier to mentally reproduce it in a new form, as I have an understanding of how it actually goes together.

tumblr_mb8hsxr2vi1qjtkjgo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mb8hsxr2vi1qjtkjgo8_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mb8hsxr2vi1qjtkjgo10_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mbc9c4xiks1qjtkjgo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mbc9yipSip1qjtkjgo4_1280.jpg