Home Technical Talk

Goz --> 3ds Max, nothing happens!

wannabeartist
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
wannabeartist polycounter lvl 8
Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting GoZ to work with Max after I updated to ZB4r4.
I remember it working before and I haven't updated Max.

If I open for instance, the Rhino project in ZBrush and press the GoZ button, it just thinks for a minute and prints "File saved successfully" in the status bar and that's it. Nothing gets opened in Max.

Have I forgotten something or is GoZ with Max currently broken?

Replies

• Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    You may have to reinstall the go z plugin.
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks,

But it's something else: I contacted support and followed their instructions, but it's still broken - discussion should continue with them tomorrow I hope.

It now seems like it will work after a clean install and activation - until reboot. After reboot I'm back with the "file saved successfully" text and then absolutely nothing transferred to Max. Very strange!
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Arise, thread! I'm getting the same thing here, only with Photoshop. GoZ would open Maya as it should, but when I changed the target app to Photoshop, nothing happens.

Wannabeartist, have you had any luck since you spoke with Pixologic a couple months ago?
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well,

To be honest, I started working on something else and I haven't really had the time to dig into this issue lately.

I do remember one thing: I was running both 3ds Max and ZBrush with Administrator privileges - they said I shouldn't do that and that it could cause issues with GoZ. It seems a little strange to me, but like I said I haven't looked into it since.

I recommend making a ticket for the support. They are very fast and helpful.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot of maxscripts that deal with external files have trouble with permissions and it's normally UAC blocking it, without the annoying "do you want to do this" popup.

Even if you are set up to be administrator or have 3dsmax set to run in admin mode, User Account Controls might still block maxscript from executing. I think you first have to set up exceptions for 3dsmax or turn off UAC all together, which is what a lot of people do.
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Hmm. Well, I hope you do find a solution for your project, Wannabe. For me though, I figured I'd just go back to good ol' ZAppLink in the meantime. Suits my needs for now, at least, and my deadline fast approaches...

Good luck!