Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vintage Dredd

It's been awhile since I actually posted a thing, a bunch happened over the year; I went to GDC, got a job, had a blast, but now find myself unfortunately unemployed so... portfolio time!

So, I'm working on Mega-City One's toughest lawman, Judge Dredd!

I started reading the collected volumes and I really dig some of the earlier stuff of Mike McMahon, so I'm gonna do the earlier, lanky style Dredd. I haven't scanned in my reference yet, so that will be posted later.

Comments/Critiques are always welcome, I got a ways to go before I can be a decent character artist.

Goals of this project:
-Get myself reaquainted with characters and improve my workflow.
-Try out new retopology solutions (Any suggestions are welcome, so far I'm considering 3Dcoat or Modo)
-Experiment with texture and model stylization to get it looking like a 3D comic drawing.

ART!
DreddBlockout.png

Things to do:
-About 90% of the blockout is done, just missing pad straps and his badge.
-Need to tweak proportions to nail down more of the comic style.
-Sculpt dis bitch.
-Make a low Poly (About 10-14k tris).
-Get it into UDK with some nice shaders.

Some other notes about my workflow:
-All my hard surface objects were built in 3DS Max, I have yet to be able to grasp the concepts and the ability to use zBrush's hard surface tools.

-I do my organic modelling by using zSpheres, converting it into a mesh, and then making it a DynaMesh object once I get into more of the nitty gritty of sculpting in order to even out the poly distribution.

-I use the shit out of GoZ.

Cheers!

Replies

• Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update, tweaked a bit of the proportions, sculpted the hands so they aren't blobs of goo anymore.

Dredd02.png
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    He looks a bit tame propotionally now, I would look at scalling up the helmet shoulder pads, kneepads etc. He looks pretty outlandish in the comics.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    71484ed06c06463ab2ac69a955f1ae4d.jpg13+Frank+Zane+picture.jpg
    No_______________________________________Yes

Skinny-ish legs, well defined stomach, shoulders like daym. That's the weight distribution Dredd has. A very typical 'inverted triangle'.
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits guys, I'll get to work on tweaking that when I get my keyboard put back together.
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update, tweaked some of the proportions, but I dunno if I've gone far enough with it yet. Been working on and off on it for the last few days.

Dredd03.png
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pulled an all-nighter working on getting most of the Hi-Poly done. There's some polish yet, and if there's any proportional tweaks anyone notices, I'll be sure to take care of it. Next is to get some detail on the eagle shoulder pad and star placement on the right-hand shoulder.

Dredd04.png

[EDIT]: Before I forget entirely, I figured I'd post one of the reference images. Dredd's proportions and appearance (Not to mention the art style) changed pretty often and sometimes pretty dramatically if the first couple of years, which is what I was basing him on. He has a much lankier, more realistic physique than in later years, and I really dig the 70's futurism.

DreddRef.png
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    That's looking pretty spot on, nearly exactly how I pictured when I read the title!

I think you could incorporate a few details from later designs - to fill up a few empty areas or detail bits that didn't need to be shown in the comics. (I think making an full, interesting texture will be a challenge with that reference.) - it all depends on how faithful you want to be.
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally got off my lazy arse and finished up the low poly, more or less. There are a few things not shown, such as his utility belt (I've got a single pouch I'll be using for the entire belt) his boot accoutrements, his visor, eyes and teeth. I'm predicting I'll come in at around 14-15k, which is much heavier than I'd like, but I'll see about trimming down polies after I bake.

DreddWires.png

Other thoughts: I used 3D Coat for pretty much the entirety of the resurfacing process, I had resurfaced the body in zBrush and finished the boots using Wrapit, but I only ended up keeping the boots. This is the first time I've ever really used 3D Coat, and its retopo toolset is so easy and intuitive I watched about 5 minutes of the tutorial video and had the rest figured out. I plan on using the program to do most of the texturing process, and I may even end up using it for my future sculpting instead of zBrush.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Too skinny on the legs, bulk out the knee area