Home Technical Talk

smoothing group split

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
bcottage polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys. Can anyone tell me if a normal map will fix a split that 2 different smoothing groups have caused?

26hWq.png

Replies

• jag heter jan
    Offline / Send Message
    jag heter jan polycounter lvl 5
    Why not just apply one smoothing group for both UV shells?
  • bcottage
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    Because i thought your ment to have a different smoothing group for each uv shell?
  • Hang10
    If you split UVs and keep one smoothing group you may have a seam when baking normal maps.
  • respawnrt
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Have you tried ? it takes 1 min max to test that out and see for yourself.
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Hang10 wrote: »
    If you split UVs and keep one smoothing group you may have a seam when baking normal maps.

That is wrong. You can have split UVs and keep objects smoothed but not the other way around (you can't have a smoothing split without a UV split). Also, those shells are a good candidate for mirroring. Just make sure the triangle stripping is the same across both sides.
  • EarthQuake
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    That is wrong. You can have split UVs and keep objects smoothed but not the other way around (you can't have a smoothing split without a UV split). Also, those shells are a good candidate for mirroring. Just make sure the triangle stripping is the same across both sides.

Right, Hasng10 has it backwards here.

Here are some basic rules/facts:

1. You need uv splits wherever you use hard edges/smoothing groups, not doing so will cause artifacts

2. you *can* use hard edges/smoothing groups anywhere you have uv splits, because it will not increase your actual vert usage(if you have a uv seam, the verts are split regardless).

3. Hard edges/smoothing groups will not cause any sort of negative artifacts if you've followed #1, however you must bake with an averaged cage. Max and Maya do this by default. Xnormal's basic ray trace setting does NOT(you have to set up a cage in xnormal or export a cage for Max).

So, if you understand 1-3, really you can just use a simple script that sets all of your uv border edges to hard, because it doesn't have any real drawbacks. The only real exception is in situations where you're doing complex partial mirroring.
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    The only other qualifier I would add is that if you have a contiguous smooth surface mapped onto multiple UV shells it should be smoothed together. That is kind of an obvious guideline but I have seen people make that mistake.
  • EarthQuake
    The only other qualifier I would add is that if you have a contiguous smooth surface mapped onto multiple UV shells it should be smoothed together. That is kind of an obvious guideline but I have seen people make that mistake.

Even then its not really necessary, I mean it might look better in the viewport without textures applied but the baker will account for it. The baker has to account for uv seams like that anyway(where uv direction changes and thus normal color) so having the edge soft or hard shouldn't make any practical difference.
  • Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    You may want to hide your seams a little better, in this case you may be afforded a little texture stretching.
    lgBUZ.png
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I would say that Scruples's method is better because you can completely get rid of diffuse seams, and you might be able to reuse this texture piece for other tubing as well.
  • Hang10
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Right, Hang10 has it backwards here.
    That is wrong.

Owned. ><

Sorry 'bout that one