Home Technical Talk

Dynamesh fills in negative space

Ugh, I was doing so well my current project until this. I'm trying to bash up my super-clean high polys in ZBrush for normals when Dynamesh goes takes my high poly:

diywP.png

And turns it into this:

tCNjI.png

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong and that this isn't a "feature."

Replies

• Kon Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    Assuming that you can undo to that point... try turning on two sided rendering, maybe there are some faces there?
  • karmiclychee
    I can - it's basically a shelled model, no open edges, which is why it's especially infuriating. Here's the underside for clarification:

Imported high poly:

tncq6.png

Post projected Dynamesh:

WWTsF.png
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I feel like you are not using Dynamesh in the right situation. I am assuming you modeled it in a 3D package and imported it into zbursh so I would assume just adding sub divisions will give you the geo you need to get the detail you want.

Dynamesh is a quick and dirty auto retopo and you have no control over where the edges are going to go. I am guessing it doesn't know what to do with the holes you have in the mesh.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Correct, ZB doesn't cope well with holes (empty mesh which has concave/convex hull without being capped off properly), so I suggest you cap it manually in your previous app and import it back again.
  • karmiclychee
    Damn, that's a shame. I'd go with Bardler's suggestion to just subdivide my high poly, but... maybe I'm missing something - with supporting edges and stuff, the mesh density is all over the place. ZBrush caps out because the edges are extremely high res while leaving the broad faces relatively low res (and thus, crap for high detailing).
  • Kon Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    What ace said. Looking at your mesh. it looks like your corners share the same edge on the 'inside' and 'outside'.

Also the edge in the center is really thin... this would all be solved by having a cap.

Dynamesh make all areas = res after reconfiguration. So putting in supporting edges will be gone as soon as you re-dyna (if that's even a word). If your losing your edge... change your polish level next to your dynamesh settings.
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Damn, that's a shame. I'd go with Bardler's suggestion to just subdivide my high poly, but... maybe I'm missing something - with supporting edges and stuff, the mesh density is all over the place. ZBrush caps out because the edges are extremely high res while leaving the broad faces relatively low res (and thus, crap for high detailing).

Before you export the mesh add more edges in certain areas to make sure the geo is even enough to sculpt in zbrush.