Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hydroponic Lab Environment

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
matthewjvia polycounter lvl 13
This is a scene I have been working on in UDK. As you can see, I still have a lot to do, but I would like to hear what people think so far. The larger room will eventually be a hydroponic garden and the smaller room will be a research lab studying extracts from the plants.

I am trying to use modular textures for this and minimize the number of high poly models and textures I need for the scene. Right now, I have a tiling texture for the floor, and the walls share two tiling textures. I am also trying to build most of my props to be able to share the same textures, but I will probably end up making a few unique textures with high poly models. I am still working on lighting and materials, particularly for the glass lights. If anyone has any good ideas on how to make frosted glass, I would love to hear them because it turned out to be about a million times harder than I expected. What I have now is ok-ish since you see it from a distance, but I would rather know how to do it correctly.

I will post wireframe and texture shots after I get off work tonight. Hopefully, either tonight or tomorrow I can get the hydroponic shelves and plants in the scene.

lab1.jpg

lab2.jpg

lab3.jpg

lab4.jpg

Replies

• Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    You better put some cool futuristic plants in there and not some boring tropical leafy things.
  • OinkOink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    !! very great :D

agree with Sparr. Put alot of green in those scene :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I think you're trying too hard with all the surfaces. You're clearly trying to make it 'not boring and standard' - and in that regard you're successful. But the shapes are overly busy, kind of clash with eachother, are not functional, and do not give off the mood of a laboratory. The grand foyer of a lab maybe, but not one of the working areas.

Also, the logo (+ in a * in a o) doesn't make me think 'plants' or 'garden' - but rather 'medical cutting tool'.