Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Best way to get rid of texture seams?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
So after messing around with a texture in photoshop I now have some obvious seams from the various layers not aligning on the model. What is the best way to blend the seams along edges on your texture?

Replies

• Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really depends on where the seams lie on your model. If it's a tile-able texture then using the "Offset" filter, set to half the texture's width/height, and painting out the seams bit by bit is the best way to go.

If they are texture seams on a mesh then you have a couple options. You could re-layout your UV's making sure that all of your texture islands have seams in places that make sense; i.e. the edges of a box, where two metallic plates meet up, at a material transition, etc... Or you could load the model into a program that supports poly painting, such as Mudbox, zBrush or newer versions of Photoshop, and paint them out by hand directly on the mesh itself.

Post a picture of the seams and we can help you more easily.
  • ausernottaken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is how you would do it in Mudbox.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5wjt25h8wA"]Mudbox 209 painting Capabilities demo - YouTube[/ame]
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark.N wrote: »
    It really depends on where the seams lie on your model. If it's a tile-able texture then using the "Offset" filter, set to half the texture's width/height, and painting out the seams bit by bit is the best way to go.

If they are texture seams on a mesh then you have a couple options. You could re-layout your UV's making sure that all of your texture islands have seams in places that make sense; i.e. the edges of a box, where two metallic plates meet up, at a material transition, etc... Or you could load the model into a program that supports poly painting, such as Mudbox, zBrush or newer versions of Photoshop, and paint them out by hand directly on the mesh itself.

Post a picture of the seams and we can help you more easily.

It is a skin texture so there is a seam that goes down the side of his leg and to his foot . I can post some pictures later when I get home.
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, if it's for a character's skin then I would definitely fix it using Mudbox.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't really done anything in mudbox, would there be a recommended way to do it in zbrush, maya, and/or photoshop?
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    You can do it using Zbrush as well. Look up tutorials on Spotlight.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Zbrush isn't the best for poly painting as i've found out. Even at high poly counts it paints per pixel not polygon.
    The texture resolution is heavily dependent on how much you are zoomed in or out.
    I've tried 3D coat for poly painting, and it is amazing. You can pain on a low poly mesh in real time just as you would Photoshop, except directly on the mesh.

If its just the one time fix your after you can get a trial!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap wrote: »
    Zbrush isn't the best for poly painting as i've found out. Even at high poly counts it paints per pixel not polygon.
    The texture resolution is heavily dependent on how much you are zoomed in or out.
    I've tried 3D coat for poly painting, and it is amazing. You can pain on a low poly mesh in real time just as you would Photoshop, except directly on the mesh.

I actually have 3D coat installed, but have not messed around with the texture tools at all yet, just the retopo tools so far. Do you have any tutorials you could recommend to learn the basics of painting in 3D coat?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Fwap wrote: »

actually it paints per polygon and not per pixel. if the density of your polygons is lower than the density of pixels on your uvw map, then that's why it will come out pixelated.

for example, if you're only subdivided to say 400,000 polygons, your polygon density might be 1 vertex per 8 surrounding pixels at 2048*2048 resolution. which means that you'll see a visible gradient between your pixels in the resulting map.

at a sufficiently high subdivision level you won't have this problem.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    @- Almighty, ah shit! I hate giving bad info, soz bro. Anyways with 3D coat thats something you don't have to worry about.

@- Bardler, A lot is pretty basic, layers like photoshop and layer filters like PS
    http://vimeo.com/5982994 - basic of painting
    and the wiki is pretty good too http://3d-coat.com/wiki/index.php/3.6_Paint_Tools
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    You don't really need to learn 3D Coat, it's easy, works almost like photoshop with the same layers modes, you have a brush, a color palette and that's it ^^. The only problem is that you don't have a lot of cool brushes like Photoshop, unless you did them yourself.
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel polycounter lvl 12
    You can use ZBrush pretty easily on this - I do it frequently. Load the texture onto your model and ZAppLink it, which will being it into Photoshop. You can clone stamp it or whatever in Photoshop and then pick it up in ZBrush. Clone the texture in ZBrush and save out and you're done. It has noting to do with your actual poly count (you're not poly painting). I don't know if there's a video out there showing it or not...
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try this video as a quick ZAppLink tutorial from CGBootcamp; seems to cover everything you need about using ZApplink + Photoshop to fix texture seams using zBrush.

http://vimeo.com/8232901
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Why is this in pimp'n'preview?
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $!nz wrote: »
    Why is this in pimp'n'preview?