Home Unreal Engine

Cascade - Trail behind orbiting particles (and trails in general)

ArYeS
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
I'm having problems with grasping main point on how to make particles that act also as emitters in UDK.

I watched all 3DMotive Cascade videos and I still struggle to create particles that emit trail behind them.

Am I looking in a completely wrong direction?

Thanks

Replies

• imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imbueFX polycounter lvl 5
    Your post is somewhat confusing. If you just want particles to trail behind, just attach it to something that's moving. As long as local space isn't activated you should be able to easily have particles that trail.

If you want a particle to act like an emitter, then you need to use an "Emitter InitLoc" module, and have it point to the name of the emitter you want it to spawn from (it's particles, specifically).
  • ArYeS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
    @imbueFX, I'll take a look at this Emitter InitLoc, this is probably what I need, since I want to create ribbon behind each particle.

Also thanks for great tutorials, this subscription was really worth it just for watching your tutorials, I must still go through 3 volumes of "Visual FX and Cinematics in UDK".
  • imbueFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imbueFX polycounter lvl 5
    Np I'm glad you enjoy my tutorials!

I'll give you a warning, I was trying to help someone else here on the forums with exactly what you are trying to achieve. The only way I'd know how to achieve what you want is with separate emitters that each have their own ribbon module. If you try to use initLoc with a ribbon, the ribbon goes berserk and tries to connect one ribbon to all every particle. So instead it comes out as a big curvy mess.
  • ArYeS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
    I was just testing this out and I quickly saw where the issue is. Also issue happens when primary particles have orbit module and Emitter initLoc doesn't know how to take orbit into account when spawning secondary particles.

Again thanks for help, I'll avoid using ribbon to do this