Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Organic modeling practice

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
kippernicus polycounter lvl 11
I put this together over the last couple days. I was going for a semi-cybernetic tree. Something that looks like the mechanics had been growing with it for a while. I don't plan on making any changes to this, but if any of you see something I should look out for in the future, let me know. Thanks in advance. :)

Tree.png

I think I might do some custom material work on this in UDK. Maybe put some pulsing electrical charges through the tubes or have some glowing fiber optic lines mixed in with the leaves.

Replies

• JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Cool concept. It looks like the cables inspired the tree rather than the other way around. As for adding to it, perhaps highly specular/low diffuse solar panels intermixed with the leaves? Also consider the roots - it's hard to say without some ground around it but without some root spread at the bottom it's a little hard to believe as a tree.

Black-and-White-tree-roots.png
  • kippernicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kippernicus polycounter lvl 11
    JamesWild wrote: »
    Cool concept. It looks like the cables inspired the tree rather than the other way around.

Yeah, that's a pretty accurate assessment James. :) And yes, it would have been a good idea to throw a couple sprawling roots in with the tubing. Thanks, I'll be sure to remember that next time.

*More angles
    Tree2.png
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    the mid section pipes don't appear to be being effected by any form of gravity. If you attempt anything like this again I would keep in mind how the object would fall naturally and the forces that would be effecting it. A good attempt though =)