Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mass Effect M7 Assault Rifle

ME_M7_HiPoly_Render4.jpg

I started this a couple of months ago and the most recent progress I have made on this prop is the hi poly. I have many other projects that I'm working on and have ideas for currently, but I am focusing on a little at a time so as to not be overworked. Any way I would really like some feedback, as it is for most, very helpful for my progression as an artist. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    the only thing is, you might have over detailed it too much, some of your floating geometry looks funny on the gun
  • Kane3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yah I'm done hi polying it for sure. I think once you get to that point where you can't figure out what else to add that means there's enough detail lol. Now when you say looks funny are you saying the shapes look for funny? or the fact that they may be placed funny?
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    The floating geo is casting shadows, I suspect that's all he means by "funny". But that detail will be omitted in the bake so you're good
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    It's too busy and unbalanced.

Assault_Rifle_Concept_Art.jpg

The original has places with high detail (barrel construction, scoper area, battery) and places to rest your eyes (top curve, front grip). Yours has neither. You've made the barrel and scope a series of simple cylinders, not having any interesting milled shapes, and you've cluttered up the resting areas with floaty whatsits.

In other words: your actual model is very uninteresting, and then you overcompensated with nondescript floating details.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    pro crit^
    dial it back. You know how to model, now show us a clean model from concept and some purdy textures on a lo res.
  • Kane3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally understand what both of you are saying and see both of your points of view And that concept is what I originally started with and with the cylinders in there I felt it was too busy, so I went and found some other images and came up with my own concept to make the barrel area simpler. However the point that was made to tone it back some I have definitely taken into consideration. When I go back to the model I will make for sure make all of the necessary changes. Thanks for all the feedback.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I am a personal fan of functionality modeling. What I mean by that is there should be a reason to put something on your model, and not just trow in some stuff just because.

To me the rails you added to the top look like they serve no purpose, and same thing with the geo added to the bottom where the M7 goes. There is nothing wrong with deviating from the concept, but it should be thought out and purposeful. To me it seems like you just threw that stuff on while modeling without actually thinking much about it.

Hope that makes sense.
  • Kane3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes it makes total sense. I actually took from different concepts, but made sure to stick mostly with the concept shown in this post. I'm one of those artists who likes to experiment with different ideas and see how they can co exist with one another. Obviously what I have as of late is something I took from too many concepts and tried to combine them into one idea which clearly didn't work. I have narrowed it down to the concept shown in this forum and this concept jan121844-mass-effect-3-m-8-avenger-assault-rifle-replica.jpg

I do agree that there is some geo out of place which I have gone through and changed. In fact there is a lot of that unnecessary geo no longer on the model. Today is the first day I have gone back to this prop in about a week and made changes based on others' feedback. So with that said I very much appreciate your feedback and will be posting some new screens within the next couple of days.
  • aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronaton polycounter lvl 6
    Never bothered with Mass Effect, and know i can see why! There guns are just plain ugly, its like laser quest on steroids!
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    aaronaton wrote: »
    Never bothered with Mass Effect, and know i can see why! There guns are just plain ugly, its like laser quest on steroids!

Dude you're missing out. Ugly guns or no, it really it a wonderful franchise.
  • Kane3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ME_M7_HiPoly_NewRender.jpg

Been working in between projects, but I made some updates to the hi poly. I have unwrapped the low poly so the next time I post there will be textures. Thanks in advance for the feedback.