[Portolio] - Nate Castronovo, 2D/3D/Conceptual Artist

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
Portfolio Website:
http://meshcrafter.com

Hello everyone!

Long time, no post. (years?)
I've been lurking in the shadows of the forums and working at Buzz Monkey Software, later at Zynga. Now I'm looking for new work in Southern California. I thought It might be nice to show my site, get some critique, and show off some of the work I have been doing.

Cheers.:)

Replies

• Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    really nice work. id say your textures would generally stand to benefit from cavity maps, not just AO
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Man really nice work here, I really like the art deco plaza you did. Keep it up man.
  • guhhh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guhhh polycounter lvl 9
    very solid work here! Love the catacomb scene...
    I need to upgrade my portfolio fast! haha
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the praise! Can I get some more critiques please? :\
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    3D wise: ur weakest point is lighting. Ur scenes tend to maintain a pretty high ambient lighting which diminishes drama and flattens composition. If u want to keep it light-value, at least fill ur shadows and lights with cool vs warm

2D wise: ur work is so varied it doesn't deliver a clear message as to what u can do. Bring some stuff together it terms of presentation and style, group things according to technique and content.

Drawing per-se I'd advise rendering less details and more big forms, u tend to overkill things with unnecessary details. Remember a painting should convey its msg with 'a few strokes as possible'

Website-wise I'd suggest putting the professional stuff first off, then 3d, then 2d

GL!
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    Amazing work, I love your textures. Are all scenes built in UDK?
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    One thing looking at your portfolio I think your textures could use some work. For example the art deco scene, there is hardly any contrast and my eyes instantly get drawn towards the trees first which I don't think was your intention. I would suggest giving the textures some variation and a bit more detail as they seem pretty flat.

Also with the art deco scene I would have made the light sources for the lights shining up the wall a bit more obvious,it took me a while to find out where they are coming from. Though I think that is just personal preference!

With the unearthly challenege scene it seems like you have some pixel density issues. For example the roof and the panels running around the bottom seem to have a lot less density that the tiles inside at the back. Also it could just be the pixel density but the textures look a little noisy to me!

Overall its a good folio though! and I love some of your 2d stuff!