Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mad Max Semi

tumblr_ma7ab96D1W1ql8gwso3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ma7ab96D1W1ql8gwso4_1280.jpg

tumblr_ma7ab96D1W1ql8gwso2_1280.jpg
tumblr_ma7ab96D1W1ql8gwso5_1280.jpg

I did this truck for a modeling II class and decided to add more destructive power to the truck using Mad Max as an inspiration. Could use a critique on what needs work and how to make the model better.

Thanks

Cory

Replies

• corydoran3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_ma9kyk0Omm1ql8gwso2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ma9kyk0Omm1ql8gwso1_1280.jpg

These are a couple more renders. One is a close up of the M2 Browning machine gun and its mount along with the track that raises and lowers the gun. The other is shot of the rear of the semi truck.
  • Lew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lew
    Can you raise or lower the m2 in the final thing, It completely confuses me in its current position, and the tracks are at an angle and the platform looks fixed width so can it even go down?

its looking awesome, I'm just worried about the function...
  • Cint128
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cint128 polycounter lvl 6
    Looks cool i like the wheels, but the front drill things on them look like the would be knocked off in real life as they go from a small point to the big drills, plus i would assume they would make the truck almost un drivable with the force they would put on the front wheels if they were real. But if there just there to look cool that's fine they just take a way a bit of the believability for me. Other then that the only other thing i might suggest is to have the diameter of the exhaust change in places as having it the same width all the time looks a bit off. ie in this pic it has bigger and smaller sections . But nice work!

American_truck.JPG&sa=X&ei=CThRUP6-BOqjiAfk9ICoCA&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFFPPoattx8EepCn35Wcuek2wOHzA
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    You make some of the chamfers waay to small :) and i'm not sure how that machine gun chair can rotate ? i mean in that position i don't see how you can sit on it let alone fire a machine gun :))But yeah overall looks nice, guess it's one of those models that can have a beating in zbrush if it's from mad max, infact start on it ! And it will need more random details not everything so symetric.
  • corydoran3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are supposed to be able to raise and lower the M2. I will adjust the model to include some hydraulic pistons so the support of the chair lift doesn't get stuck when traveling down to the skinnier parts of the lift beams. It is one area that I am currently reworking. Or I will just straighten out the beams.
  • corydoran3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for the wheels, there are tricone rock drilling bits that are on the wheels. I was trying to give a base that would absorb all of the tension and force from driving in the middle between the wheel and drilling bits. They are supposed to be able to be used so I will go back to the drawing board to find a suitable system that would make the weapon capable of damaging a nearby vehicle. I was thinking the same thing about the exhaust being a little bland, but I wanted some feedback before I started remodeling the assets. The idea behind the chair is that it can rotate and when the beams raise to the top along the slides it can rotate around. It seems like an inconvenience, but the only thing I can think of to combat this problem would be to add in a scissor lift type of device to raise the chair by itself. If anyone can think of a good solution, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    If this was a Project/Game/Mod W.I.P. I'd say:
    Shudap, Make game & take my money!

Looks nice so you can only model the beast and no ZBrushing action? I was going to say dirty It up with dents and bullet holes.
    Add some kind of defense to the gas tanks on the side, a good direct shot will do your semi in.

If you can't already tell by my first comment, I like this!
    Nice work.
  • corydoran3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not very familiar with ZBrush. The only time I have used ZBrush was to break down a greek fountain that I did for one of my classes. It something that I am currently learning and that would be the next step as to applying some damage. Gas tanks will definitely need some protection now that you mention it.

Thanks
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Thatd be a pretty badass mobile base/gunship in a zombocalypse. Just sayin
  • Bacn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bacn polycounter lvl 13
    Like Sniz said, the truck could use a bit of roughing up. The truck looks very clean, which isn't bad but if you want to make it look like something that's driven around after the apocalypse, it should look the part. This not only pertains to how clean it is but also the modifications done to it. The plow and the gun almost look like they were put on the truck in the factory. Was this truck modded by a wealthy warlord with tons of engineers at his disposal? Was it thrown together in an hour by a panicking group of teenagers with no prior experience but a welding class in high school?

It's a very nice model, but if you keep in mind the story behind it it'll help add a little bit of character that can really make it shine.