Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Atrium [UDK]

Hi polycount !
Since the last month, I'm working on an atrium inspired from a photo mix of the Cathedrale Saint aubain and the Op

Replies

• roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Looks excellent! You just need some more color variation. Maybe some carpet or flags/banners. How did u do the tillable bricks wth the little rocks caught between them? Could u post z pic of the zbrush model?
  • hoenheim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey rooster

The banners idea looks great !

About my texture, Since I'm not a big boss in Zbrush, I juste work the edge of my stone block into and I put a soft noise on the surface. Nothing more.

31ea9de9e0f263a2c0c4275bad096tt.jpg

The little rocks you are talking about where added directly in photoshop from a photo (faster and easier for me) and I generate there normal with the photoshop plugin.
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Looing good there.

How much photosources did you use for that texture?
  • hoenheim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reiro => It's quite simple to describe ; I use a main color that I combine with 2 base photo of rock to have my "main material" and next, I just pick some random detail from plaster or concrete photo. When I do that, I search a certain grain and a precise kind of transition to make the best looking mix between all details.
    For the short version, maybe 5 or 6 ;)
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel polycounter lvl 12
    Looks good when it's lit - I think the edge highlights really shine here. Yeah some large details and more to the scene will make this awesome.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Very sexy, I love the details on the arm rail
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    Nice start mate, I look forward to seeing where you take this. You stair asset looks great and don't really have to much to crit at the moment other than it would be nice to see your normal maps popping abit more, the floor and the plain walls look a little flat.

Loving the lighting, keep up the good work
  • hoenheim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel => It's certainly because I use my diffuse as specular and it has really strong Highlight =S I really need to change this.

Ryswick => Thanks dude !

Grimmstrom => You are right about the normal map, she is really flat. I ll try to pump it up for the next update ;)

The first texture is about the wall, and the second is for the floor. It is a good idea to keep it simple ? I fear that the DXT compression f*ck me up the smaller details.

6c3d793392567805ff1db3b1f6d49.jpg

c410acb79cdb069083060ab17b8c7.jpg
  • copenhagenjazz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    copenhagenjazz polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there, this looks great. One thing that caught my eye on your floor normals is that the slashes you have across the tiles needs to have the green channel flipped. Currently the slash-normals are pointing outwards where you would expect them to be indents into the tiles.

Also it looks like the small pebbles needs the green channel flipped.

Basically I would just go over the overlays you have created outside zbrush and make sure their directions are unified with your sculpt.

I know these are minor issues but I am a sucker for these things ;)
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel polycounter lvl 12
    hoenheim, my comment about the specular "shining", while it could have been literal, was meant to say they look good. So it wasn't something I thought you needed to change. I think it really helps the textures to pop.
  • hoenheim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there !
    I made a new generic texture for my corridor (the one in the above part). This time, colors are here \o/
    Thanks for your crits ;)

258cebeb5bd5d964277a56f3180b8tt.jpg

From this sculpt :

a20d5fe93f85d60afb1bacab644ddtt.jpg