Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] The Foundry

Replies

• aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks Ritual, I may add some later on , it's possible we'll see :) and AimBiZ glad my vibe came across :p I'll try and mess with the height of the floors a bit.

Here's an update:

I did a lot of lighting tweaks, and also added a conveyor belt in the upper area, something subtle.

8024466762_dfa7cb0ab1_h.jpg

8024465724_aeb98d26c8_h.jpg
  • CordellC
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Keep pumping out the goodness!

Mind sharing a little insight on how you got that nice fluorescent texture on your lights? Something I see done quite a lot but always left asking how they did it.
  • Ganon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganon polycounter lvl 7
    Hi buddy, i really love your lighting ! We feel the heat. I just don't understand yours chains stuffs
    chain01.jpg
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    @ Thanks! Well basically I got a texture that had a nice horizontal glow through the middle that was lighter then the rest, it makes it look like there is actually a light inside of the light cover. This is my emissive texture, hopefully this helps, I'm tired so idk if I made much sense :o

Eaw3U.jpg

@ Ganon: Not sure what you mean, I wish I could find my original reference towards those chains, but they were from a reference image.
    9k=
  • CordellC
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Ah, I see. Thank you very much!
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Gannon is pointing out that your chains are defying gravity and physics by hugging the sides of those "wheels" that the hooks are attached to. If they're some sort of pulley system, then the wheels aren't modeled as such, and if they're just free hanging through the wheel like a clothes line, then your chains shouldn't be pinched in at the top.
    His image on the left is how they should look if simply hanging. The one on the right is pointing out your physics defying system.

Though he's basing this entirely upon the idea that the chains can be shortened or lengthened at will and that they're not currently hooked onto some sort of attachment point on the wheel to prevent the chain from extending further.

The lighting looks great so far, but the scene still looks somewhat empty for some reason. Most likely just because I'd assume that a Foundry would be a mass of pipes and conveyors etc. etc. More chaotic.

steel+mill+adolf+menzel.jpg

bp-cornwall-oliver-foundry-757716.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking very good so far!
    There is definitely a good level of brightness and contrast going on, but I agree with @GarageBay9 on the point about the air around the molten pits not seeming hot enough.

As the bloom effect won't work if the emmissive surface isn't at least partly visible, then it might pay to fake it with a static particle system that imitates the soft glow that should be coming from the pits.
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    To really capture a foundry you need to portray the - the dull red volumetric light from the raw heat spilling into the visible spectrum. Right now there might just be a well-lit hangar or something below those openings; there's no sense of the inferno of any kind of molten metal.

I was working on a giant blacksmith forge scene a while back in UDK and I found the most convincing way to capture the atmosphere of a foundry or metalworks was really careful use and blending of volumetric lights around any "molten" metals. You want to portray the air around them getting so hot that it's starting to emit light itself.

Foundry_pic.jpg

All you've got right now are a few areas with some minor emissive on them. That won't be near enough. Crank that shit up and try to capture the fact that the friggin' air surrounding that material is hot enough to luminesce, and things will start to pop.

Great work so far!
    Keep us updated :)