Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

KRISS Vector

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
Hi everyone!

My name is ryan and this is KRISS. Modeled in Maya and ZBrush. I'm currently working on the game model and textures. Any feedback along the way is appreciated:)

vector_Muzzle_R.jpg

vector_S_Left.jpg

vector_top.jpg

vector_EOsight.jpg

Replies

• Tim270
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 polycounter lvl 6
    Just because it is very obvious, you REALLY want to increase the size of your edges or you will just not get anything out of them when/if you bake it down.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1725586/crits/edgewidthmodel.jpg

You can really see this on the EOTECH in particular, it all looks like 90degree angles where it really wants to be catching a lot more lighting.

Apart from that it looks really nice, was it all made in Zbrush? that sounds like quite a accomplishment in itself :)
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Tim! I did a quick test bake and you're right, It's losing a lot along the edge. I'm going to redo those two parts.

Just to clarify I modeled the base in Maya first and then did all the high poly stuff in Z. I've done some other weapons all in Z before, but, wanted to see if this was going to be a more effective work flow.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Aside from the edge issues, I think this looks amazing. How did you control the edge smoothing in zbrush? did you use pre-subdivided models (and a whole bunch of levels/remeshing) or polygroups, or just sculpt the edges with brushes?

Are the case sections seperate ztools, or is this sculpted from larger sections? How did you sculpt the extruded sections? Is there a lot of custom alpha stuff at play here? How have you found this workflow so far?

Sorry for question barrage, looking forward to seeing you develop this.
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    question and comments are all welcome. Right now I'm working on fixing the sharp edges-- which is a little bit of work:) I will not make this mistake again.

To control the edge smoothing in ZBrush: I started with a pre-sub models that I made in Maya to hold shape (hence the to hard edge on the EOtech sight.

In ZBrush I used polygroups and mesh division to add extra res where needed.

Most of the edges needed little to no work, b/c how I modeled it in Maya.

For the most part everything is a separate Ztools. However, things will be combined that make sense for baking.

The extruded sections: The major parts were probably already in the base mesh from Maya. The really fine detail in the nobs were done with radial local summitry on.

Alphas: I created about 25 custom alphas in CS for this.

Work flow: So far I like it. Now I know not to make my edges so hard ( which is less work). It allows a lot of flexibility, as I can use some of my parts on future guns. Also, It makes creating the game res model fast-- as all I'm doing is de-resing my sub model from Maya.
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update and a question.

I've been building my game model and smoothing out some of my edges on my high poly model. After running a few test transfers I've got some less-than desired results.

The edges look great from the Maya map transfer but everything else doesn't seem to take as well. In xNormal the edge have seams, but everything else looks great.

I would prefer to bake all my maps from xNormal as it seems to generate better detail overall.

Here's a pic of my Zbursh model and what the low model looks like with Maya transfer and xNormal bake (NRM maps only)

The low poly model has hard and soft edges where they should be. The UV seams follow a hard edge. (read in a thread somewhere that, that mattered for Xnormal).

Thanks for your help!
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry I haven't really used xnormal enough to know what the problem is :/ IF it's like Maya, then all the edges have to be smooth. Unless you have a seam; edges that are cut in the texture editor can be hard. My only guess would be it has to do with your export (maybe there's an option for keeping the smoothing?)

In other news, the gun looks sick and can't wait to see the final bake
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for answering my questions! Looks like it may be related to smoothing groups. I'm not that experienced with xnormal either. What did you mainly use the Alphas for?
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I almost have the low poly version of my gun done. Along the way I experienced some problems with baking maps from xNormal. This was a problem that I've never seen before... After a lot of trail and error and reading countless post on different forums I finally solved the problem. It seems that most of the information was either old or incomplete.

The problem: Getting seamless maps from xNormal to Maya.

maps.jpg

As you can see, there is a very noticeable seam from the xNormal bake. To get rid of this you have to create and use a cage instead of ray distance.

Steps to do this from Maya.

1. take your low poly mesh. (no n-gons)
    3. indicate hard and soft edges
    2. UV it.
    3. freeze it and delete history
    4 export as OBJ with the following settings.
    • groups on
    • point groups on
    • materials off
    • smoothing on
    • normals on
    5. duplicate that mesh.
    6. with that new mesh selected go to lighting/ shading -- then transfer maps
    7. change mesh to envelope and adjust side. (note: if this doesn't change size and color, change size to something like 1 and close the window... repeat 5-7 and this time it should change size)

Note: the envelope mesh must be an exact duplicate of your low and be large enough to in case your high poly mesh completely.

8. Freeze it and delete histoy
    9. export it with the same settings as your low poly model.
    10. open xNormal and import high poly model with default settings (make sure ignore per vertex color is checked).
    11. Add low poly mesh with the following settings
    • use exported normals
    • batch protection
    12. right click and browse for cage ( this your envelope mesh)
    13. make sure use cage is checked
    14. set map size and edge padding to somewhere around 6
    15. generate maps!

There still seems to be some small artifacts that appear in the maps. If you also run a ray distance bake; you can swap out those area in seconds.

bakeTest.jpg
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the low poly model of my KRISS Vector. It is 12,500 tris., which includes all attachments. The gun is still fully functional, with the KRISS Super V System in place and folding stock:)

I plan on starting the UVs tomorrow-- so if anyone sees any glaring problems, please let me know. I haven't decided on the texture size yet (was planning on putting it all on one map), so feel free to leave suggestions regarding that too. Below are the wire frames.

wip_14.jpg

wip_15.jpg

wip_16.jpg
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    great success In ZBrush Congrats

I do make weapons for FPS game but In Max .

I always think about making weapon in Z but I think beside some especial parts it's more effective pipeline to make it in Max or Maya .

What do you guys think ?
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    Hey the weapon is looking really nice!
    I have a non related question however. What makes you use Maya?, because right now idk wether to stick with Maya or learn Max, since most hardsurface artist use Max. You are one of the few i found that make sick stuff using Maya, gun wise...

• Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EG

thanks! Here's my work flow.

1. Made base mesh in Maya.
    2. Made a duplicate of that mesh, which was later optimized.
    3. Took the original mesh and added some more detail and res before taking it into Z (made sure that it held shape with a smooth preview).
    4. did all the Z stuff
    5. Optimized the duplicated mesh.

There were some cases when I recreated some geo. using shadowbox, but those were very few.

If you don't save a copy of your mesh before you go to town with adding edge loops and resolution, then optimizing the mesh will become very time consuming at the end-- In that case you might as well start in Z.

@CGA

Thank you! The reason I use Maya is... A long time ago when I was changing from traditional art to digital art-- the school I was trying to go to taught Maya. And somewhere I herd this: (I'm not sure if there's any truth to it) That Maya was harder to learn (UI wise) and if you could learn Maya you could learn Max.

If you know most of the hot keys, use hotbox, and all the short menus in Maya... then modeling is pretty fast. Most of my friends that model professionally that started on Maya and switched to Max, say that Max is better for modeling. So why haven't I switched yet? Right now I rather put time into Z.

Here's a link to my filo. Most of which is modeled in Maya except the knife and hand gun, which were modeled all in Z. http://ryanbown.org/
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man sick! how did u become so good at Zbrush hardsurface. Looks like its actually a great thing to plug into one's pipline/workflow. I know zbrush but more for organic stuff like clothes and anatomy but never explored the hardsurface side... Any tips or suggestions?
    Thanks again
  • Havoc89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    Very cool, nice work.
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update:

Got the UVs done and packed them all into one layout. I left enough padding for a 2k texture, but I'll probably do a 4k diffuse on this. Anyways, Here's the progress.

wip_17.jpg

uvlayout1024.jpg

@ Havoc89, thanks man- I see you've made some nice weapons.

@CGA, thanks, but there are a lot of people much better than me at hard surface modeling in Z. Shadow box and dynamesh all the way for hard surfaces (if your starting in Z).
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    Looking good, I like it a lot so far, very nice packing aswell. Not sure if I'm feeling a 4k would be necessary but it's rather highpoly for a lowpoly so I can see why. Looking forward to seeing the textures regardless.
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got done baking the AO and NRM maps. I'll start painting this next week, C&C welcome.

12,400 tris. (gun and all attachments)
    4k texture (AO and NRM)
    rendered in Maya

kriss_low_02.jpg

kriss_low_01.jpg

kriss_low_03.jpg

kriss_low_04.jpg

kriss_low_05.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    lookin real nice. lets see some fps and ads shots. :D

only thing i could probably crit about this is that you could use a bit more edges on your optic to define the roundness (if its an fps gun then you really dont want your edges to show there). and in your uvs youve got TONS of little clusters that can more than likely overlap each other and ultimately give you some more rez on the more important pieces.
  • polygoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 17
    this looks pretty sweet so far looking forward to textures
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the optics to reflect feedback (thank you). The tri. count is back to 12,500 for the gun and all attachments, which is fine... That was the target for the project:) Please let me know what you think of the changes before I start painting.

kriss_wip_18.jpg

kriss_wip_19.jpg

kriss_wip_20.jpg

@Oniram

regarding UV islands. and UV space: Most of those are either the teeth from the rails or the circles on the sides. The side circles must be unique. I also, have greater UV space allocated to stuff closer to the player in First person POV. It might not be evident in these pics. The texture is really much crisper then what your seeing here. I'm referencing pictures that are posted on my dev. blog and blogger compresses images resolution and also down sizes the pics that are uploaded. Thanks again for help, Hope my SGM will turn out sexy too:poly124:
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a quick paint over a couple of renders to get an idea on how to break up this texture. Because the gun and attachments are mostly black, I'm going to have to make sure that it doesn't get to dark and have some color variation with in these dark tones. There's a fine line between making it look muddy and interesting. I plan on giving the metal parts a burnished feel with a few hot spots where there has been some recent scraps.

texturePlan.jpg

Example of metal

220px-Traces_brunes_sur_une_bague_de_roulement.jpg

Anyways, let me know what you think, I should have some texture updates this weekend...
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    To me it looks like the back stock is half rubber, half plastic. Is the main body of the gun plastic? I would've assumed metal but I don't know much about guns. Keen to see how it looks textured though :)
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on the diffuse over the weekend. There is no spec or gloss in the render, just diffuse and normal. Any feedback on the paint job so far is appreciated. This is a WIP and everything can still be changed pretty easily in Photoshop, so please be honest:)

@Bek.

I don't own the gun... but from what I can tell in pictures the main body (shell) is a hard plastic. The internals of the gun are metal.

kriss_wip_24.jpg
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More work on the textures... Please let me know what you think and how to make it better.

kriss01ms.jpg

kriss02ms.jpg

kriss03ms.jpg

kriss04ms.jpg
  • osk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osk polycounter lvl 4
    So far so good. The model looks detailed and sharp.
    Not a big gun expert but i think you need to work more on specular map and textures
    Make material differences and small hilights more visible
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    the model looks great, currently the texturing and lighting and letting it down a bit, it just looks very dark and black. For the sake of more visual interest i don't know why you didn't make the body a different colour like the desert coloured kriss you often see
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    think about your scratches. how would the back of that optic be so scratched up unless you took it and rubbed it against concrete.. and even then scratches wouldnt be only on the edges. right now as far as materials go its looking generally flat and cloudy. id say pull away from the overlays and such and try blocking in the materials with solid colors first. the bake made this gun look super sweet and now a lot of that visual interest is taken away with the material.

lighting also helps a lot. try pulling up some studio shots of this gun and somewhat match the lighting layout (ideally you should always use 3 point lighting to start out but ultimately whatever looks best)

http://kwausa.com/files/3113/2682/0471/f_krissvector_ang.jpg
    http://www.evike.com/images/large/gr-kwa-kriss.jpg
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It needs more variation in the diffuse and in the specular maps. There isn't much difference between the plastic and metal parts. Think about how glossy each type of material is too and it'll start pulling itself together.
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @osk
    thank you, you nailed it... That is what I'm trying to do. The spec map is way off right now.

@mr_ace

thanks for the feedback. I think this might be even lighter then what I had before:poly122: How dark should I paint base layer for the black areas (60-65% gray)?

RE: all black

This might sound stupid, but I like black. But I'm running into the problem that all of you mentioned, it's not visually interesting and it's hard to distinguish material differences. For this reason, I might paint the plastic a different color... which mean I probably will:)

@Oniram

Thanks for the feedback... I will clean up that area and try to simplify my texture. Right now I have so many layers in PS.

@burtonyang

Thank you, I will work on the gloss map as well.

Anyways, thanks for taking a look and giving some needed advice! list of hot fixes:
    • Lighten and simplify diffuse
    • maybe color plastic different color
    • fix spec map
    • fix gloss map
    • better lighting
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing around with the plastic a bit. These are just ruff color test. Please let me know what you think 1-6. Open to suggestions if all these suck:poly122:

camo2.png

camo3.png

camo.png

camo4.png

camo5.png

camo6.png
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    id say interest-wise, 1 and 6 are the best. color-wise.. neh not so much.
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I redid all my textures as suggested. Hopefully the lighting isn't as bad this time:poly122:

Anyways, feedback always welcome...

Kriss_camo_01.jpg

Kriss_camo_02.jpg

Kriss_camo_03.jpg
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    much better texture and much better lighting. a bit overblown on the back and right side (looking in fpv) but overall its really coming together. great presentation
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah this is looking sick. The front outer barrel coming out of the body is definitely metal, yet reads a little weird, almost like plastic. Not like metal. I think another pass over your spec would really bring this to the next level :D Awesome job though! I love high poly gun work like this. Well... just weapons in general. Guys will be guys. Great work so far!
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. Here's a quick update. Anything else?

Kriss_camo_04.jpg

Kriss_camo_05.jpg

Kriss_camo_06.jpg
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Nice, very nice! Maybe just a little lowered gloss on the plastic (?) parts of the stock and a teeny tiny few more scratches on the metal pieces (like the red dot)? Looks amazing either way.
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks cptSwing. I lightened the dirt on the diffuse, touched up the spec and tweaked the gloss map. Please let me know if you guys prefer these new renders or the ones before. Also, here's my flats if anyone is interested.

Kriss_camo_07.jpg

Kriss_camo_08.jpg

Kriss_camo_09.jpg

kriss_flats.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    wow, that's looking so much better with those new textures and the lighting works really well now too. Huge improvement, nice job

edit: if that's supposed to be blood on the stock, you need to darken it and make it more brown, it currently looks too pink and light, blood should look like the photo below, and when it dries, it goes a lot darker and browner

Blood_Pool.jpg
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks SICK. I would also maybe add some black scratches to make the paint itself more "worn", since it looks like a gun that has been used in battle and hit the ground, scraped etc.

Anyways, ur a monster bro :D
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    Looks great! Your latest attempt on the texture really nailed it. Can't help but notice there are some negative values in your normal map (nasty yellow bits) which you might want to clean up. There are also a couple of bake errors which need tidying up, like around the grippy button thing where the stock attaches to the main body of the gun. I assume you press it to collapse the stock or something. Anyway there's a bake error just under it that needs painting over. Tiny things like that for polish and this is a beast of a portfolio piece!
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mr_ace: Thanks! Blood updated

@cptSwing: Thank you for your C&C

@CyberGameArts: Lol, your to kind:)

@KartoonHead: Thank you!

RE: The negative values in my NRM map. Those are project errors from parts that are under other geo. None of them are visible.

RE: The baking error on the stock. Thank you for pointing this out... This was actually a problem with my AO map. I also repainted the camouflage in 3D space to git rid of all the seams. Hopefully it looks better now.

Anyways, I want to thank everyone for their C&C while I worked on this. I'm going to finally call this done... unless there's a glaring problem that I missed :poly122: Here's a list of all the updates:
    • Tweaked AO map to fix some seams and lighten the ejection port
    • Redid camouflage (painted in 3D to get rid of all seams)
    • Minor changes to diffuse paint
    • Lighting for rendering, added light linking to glass and inter part of scope
    • Compressed textures from 4096 to 2048 and sharpened
    • Image composite in CS5 with master layer and AO pass

The gun is 12,680 with all attachments. The texture map is 4k. 1 diffuse, specular, gloss and normal map (2048 each). Thanks again for taking a look:poly121:

kriss_vector_01.jpg

kriss_vector_02.jpg

kriss_vector_03.jpg
  • nedwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is very nice. Good job. ;D
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aye, i'd like to shoot it :)
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man I wish that sexy gun could be in my game :(:D:D:D:D
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome and inspirational!
    btw didnt understand, u are using 4k map for diffuse and 2k maps for spec, gloss, and normal map, or also diffuse is 2k?
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome and inspirational!
    btw didnt understand, u are using 4k map for diffuse and 2k maps for spec, gloss, and normal map, or also diffuse is 2k?

I'm happy to see you guys like it.

RE: texture maps.
    There is only 1 diffuse, 1 spec, 1 gloss, 1 normal map. Each map is 2048 x 2048. That makes the total texture size 4096 x 4096 or 4k.
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stephanie polycounter lvl 8
    Kon Artist wrote: »
    @EG

thanks! Here's my work flow.

1. Made base mesh in Maya.
    2. Made a duplicate of that mesh, which was later optimized.
    3. Took the original mesh and added some more detail and res before taking it into Z (made sure that it held shape with a smooth preview).
    4. did all the Z stuff
    5. Optimized the duplicated mesh.

There were some cases when I recreated some geo. using shadowbox, but those were very few.

If you don't save a copy of your mesh before you go to town with adding edge loops and resolution, then optimizing the mesh will become very time consuming at the end-- In that case you might as well start in Z.

@CGA

Thank you! The reason I use Maya is... A long time ago when I was changing from traditional art to digital art-- the school I was trying to go to taught Maya. And somewhere I herd this: (I'm not sure if there's any truth to it) That Maya was harder to learn (UI wise) and if you could learn Maya you could learn Max.

If you know most of the hot keys, use hotbox, and all the short menus in Maya... then modeling is pretty fast. Most of my friends that model professionally that started on Maya and switched to Max, say that Max is better for modeling. So why haven't I switched yet? Right now I rather put time into Z.

Here's a link to my filo. Most of which is modeled in Maya except the knife and hand gun, which were modeled all in Z. http://ryanbown.org/

Interesting workflow. So I've been using Maya for all my stuff and Modo recently to render and bake, but I don't entirely understand the idea behind using zbrush for hard surface. I try to stay away from zbrush even when I do organic stuff cause I dislike how much geometry it spits out and how little control I have over it. So I've only touched it to work on wrinkles and such. Is there any real advantage to using it for hard surface?