Home Technical Talk

Not sure how this edge selection turns into this

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Chase polycounter lvl 9
on CGTuts, there's a tutorial that demonstrates making a selection of edges and turns them into a ring of edges. I kinda know how to do it manually by adding tracing a circle and adding cuts, but this is really confusing.

75640.jpg

76640.jpg

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    This method works because it essentially creates an even distribution of edges from vertical, to horizontal, and a perfect diagonal in between. When using connect, it simply traces through selected edges (in this case 8 edges, 4 y x, and 4 at 45 degree angles).

A lot of modelers use this method, because it's a quick bridges to punching holes for high poly models.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I tried following the tutorial this was in but they don't really explain the edge placement for this to work. When I try apply the Circle selection in the Graphite Modeling Tool everything just gets jumbled up. If you get the chance do you think you could throw a few images breaking down the steps for this process to work? Whenever you get the free time. I'd really appreciate it.
  • Internet Friend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Internet Friend polycounter lvl 9
    That first screenshot is bad, don't select the edges of those inner polygons. Select the loop you want to become the circle. The inner shape is there because as you've noticed, without it the Circle function creates a mess. Those inner edges don't form a proper edge loop due to the corner verts only being connected to three edges so the Loop Tools get confused.
  • keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    You could make a script that does this pretty easily. That is, select a random number of vertices and relocate all of them to be the same distance away from the original center point.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I don't know how to make scripts haha. I would if I could though. Even if I select the edge I want to become the circle everything still crumbles up. Can you show me what you mean?
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    I would select my verts I wanted to form the circle and apply a spherify modifier, then just collapse the stack if your one of those people who hate stacking modifier's.
  • Internet Friend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Internet Friend polycounter lvl 9
    sagFH.png

It's that simple. If it isn't working, I don't know what to tell you. Vert spacing along the loop doesn't matter; as long as it's a proper edge loop it should turn it into a planar circle:

roF3q.png