Home Technical Talk

Any thoughts on Topogun for retopology tools?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
My teacher was talking about Topogun and how easy it is to retopo any mesh. However I was wondering with Zbrush 4R4's new topo tools is the program worth it? Does it do anything better than Zbrush?

I am starting to explore retopology in my next project and just wanted some input.

Replies

• a3sthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
    I'm a huge fan of Topogun and definitely support it's existence. Mind you, I didn't mind the ZBrush topology tools either, and found them to be pretty good. I've also been impressed with 3DSMax's toolset too, and a lot of the people I've worked with have used all 3, and each of them has a different opinion.

You'll find that they appeal to different people's workflow/pipeline, and in some cases, can even just depend on your own temperament (funnily enough).

What have you got access to at the moment? If you've got time to use them both, give them both a try (search youtube for "Zbrush/topogun how to's" to get started).

I *think* if you're comfortable using Maya or 3DSMax, topogun has a more familiar interface than ZBrush, but it can be useful re-meshing pieces of geo mid-zbrushing...

They all have so many uses!!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Topogun and 3D Coat are great programs for retopo. They all kinda do the same things. I've heard a few people saying they love ZBrush's new tools.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    ohh boy... so many apps in which you can retopo these days... from max with its surface snapping ribbon tools and to its free scripts for it and payed scripts like Wrapit(looks really good check it out) to topogun or 3dcoat or even to blender with those looptools and bsurface(free addon for blender) to other software that give the option(maya, modo)... you see what I mean.

Personaly topogun is quite good at retopology. The developer is romanian... a lil bit of indirect pride for me... but not enough to not see some aspects of the program that still disappoint(extruding surface, sometimes makes a huge mess, and symmetry just stops to work at some points, from what I could see from the trial) The program offers lots of tools and common commands that operate on subobject components like you would find in max or maya. What I truely like about it is the performance. Smooth navigating while doing a retopo on a failry heavy object is so nice.

Performance is mostly the reason why I don't really retopo in 3ds max(2011 here). It becomes a pain when you have a rather dense object in wireframe mode and you want to retopologize it and the fps just goes down the drain, slugish orbiting sometimes and the fact that the program might crash on you. Topogun is fairly stable and it does have a recovery option.
    3d coat... ohh well most people really do like to retopos inside it... I had a go a few times and do have to say that it is quick and easy(same as Topogun). The autoretopo is a wonderful feature giving you a rather good start for the retopo.

With the last update of zbrush I have to say that they have improved the retopology tools a fair deal. It's all about painting/drawing your loops now and it does the job quite good in my opinion. But when you will retopo a mesh for games and have to reduce the poly count to a certain numebr you will need the option to collapse edges and move verts where you want to and split edges and connect and create triangles, all sort of operation that might work faster in topogun or 3ds max. Give some a try and go with the one that is fast and gives you freedom and performance to work as you want.

Well I had a liltle text diarrhea and wrote too much. Just some thoughts Cheers!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Love topogun retopoing!
    I really have to mess around with Zbrushes topo tools but I couldn't be bothered until i get some free time to get the hang of it & I tried but wasted time and was like let me just do what I always do, topogunit.

You have to find out what works for you and for me right now it's topogun, mind you it does have it's flaws but I get around them (you do what you got to do).
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the information guys.

I didn't know 3D Coat had retopo tools, but I have been wanting to check that program out for texturing. Does anybody have any opinions on Topogun vs 3D Coat for retopology? One better than the other?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    +1 for Topogun!
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I'm afraid I don't have any experience with 3D Coat's retopology. I hear they're pretty decent, and if you're planning on buying 3DCoat anyway, it may be worth it to get a 2-for-1 that way. You should just go watch some 3DCoat retopology videos and see what it's capable of.

That said, I love Topogun. We use it in our studio, and I use it at home too. It's affordable, and it gets its one job done very efficiently. The new 2.0 (which isn't out yet, but you can download and use just the same) has tons of tools for all sorts of retopology situations. So once you assimilate all the tools, you can get through stuff incredibly fast.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Both have their own benefits and drawbacks. I will list what they are for me but you're the one who has to give both a try and decide for yourself which is better.

Here's what I observed:

ZBrush pros:

-Integrated topology tools - no need to use an external app and import/export the mesh
    -High-res mesh does indeed look hi-res, as you would expect
    -The ability to change the materials
    -The ability to hide parts of the mesh

Cons:

-Not as intuitive to control the topology. No ability to merge/collapse verts, bridge edges, etc.
    -No relax function, everything is done manually (how you put it on is what you will get).
    -Unstable (tends to crash when doing long retopo sessions)
    -If you have overlapping verts or edges, they have to be deleted and topology redrawn again.

Topogun pros:

-Behaves like your average 3D app (Maya, Max, etc.)
    -A huge range of options to control your mesh (select loop, bridge, merge, connect, etc.)
    -Easy to change topology - the way you drew it is not necessarily your final look
    -Stable
    -Relax tool for better edge flow
    -Much faster to put topology on your mesh (and different ways of doing so)
    -Tube options for quickly laying in topo on cylindrical forms (arms, legs, etc.)

Cons:

-Hi-res mesh doesn't look hi-res like in ZBrush (same issue with 3dcoat) no matter how dense the mesh is. The smoothing algorithm these two use is not very good.
    -No ability to choose a different material - there's only 1 you're stuck with.
    -No merge threshold control. If your model is symmetrical, the vertices in the middle have to be manually merged one by one.
    -Unable to hide parts of the mesh to get to "hard to reach" areas.

There's more cons and pros to both programs, but those listed are, what I think, the most essential tools for any retopology task at hand.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info Kot.

I found this on youtube for 3D Coat and it looks pretty bad ass. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEnwxnNMPk4"]3D Coat 3.5 Auto-Retopology - YouTube[/ame]
    From my quick research on the net this process will give you your basic starting mesh and then you tweak where needed. That video was from a year and half ago so it might even be better at this point.
  • bk3d
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    SsSandu_C - in 3dsmax you don't export the highest subd to retopo from , probably level 3 or 4 'Or' just decimate your mesh first.
    So yeah max for me is a great solution , gotta love 'extend' on the graphite ribbon
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    3d coat basic retopo is really good! it does also have some nice little features like that vid shows, does speed things up a bit but unfortunately some of 3d coats features dont feel as polished or refined as you hope and dont quite give the level of control you might want at times but they certainly are nice innovative tools.
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 12
    zbrush: i always get some ugly results with qremesher, and the topology brush isn't that easy to control
    3dcoat: i love retopoing in 3dcoat mostly because of its tools, but what i really love is that i can use zbrush navigation!
    topogun: recently saw a digital tutors video on topogun 2.0, and i am impressed with the features. think it'll make my workflow faster. might switch to this next.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    I use 3d coat a lot but recently I've been using max's graphite modeling retopo tools. It's great, not even joking around...and all of max's tools are right there.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    3dcoat all the way... for me its more intuitive than topogun...
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input guys! Lots of good info, I think I am going to check out 3D Coat and see how it goes.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since it's mandatory that I mention Modo in every modeling thread, the retopo tools in Modo are quite nice as well. The new stuff in 601 is REALLY slick. But that's definitely more of an investment than 3D Coat or Topogun!
  • encore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    encore polycounter lvl 5
    Zbrush QRemesher does a pretty good job. At least for me. :)

Dynamesh --> QRemesheh = Bam! Bonus time.
  • purehilarity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    purehilarity polycounter lvl 6
    I just bought Topogun and it is awesome. 99 dollars is a great price. I HATED zbrush's retopo when I tried it... there's just a lack of different tools in it and it's clumsy. Also don't like the way it's so difficult to see and backfaces become an issue. Also used a couple of third party plugins for maya and cinema and the snapping didn't work very well. Topo snaps perfectly to the reference mesh and it's also very easy to subdivide the model and fit the topology perfectly, something that doesn't seem to be nearly as easy in Zbrush (projections give me a lot of errors that are hard to fix).

P.S. I might've gone 3D Coat bc I've heard good things but it was much more expensive than topo for things I didn't really need.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    encore wrote: »
    Zbrush QRemesher does a pretty good job. At least for me. :)

Dynamesh --> QRemesheh = Bam! Bonus time.

^ This is true and I have to wrap my head around doing that step now.
    I just usually lay down a fair amount of detail and then recreate the topology with the low in mind and have a good base to start chipping away to create the final.
    Doing the QRemesher (for speed reasons) would give the hi an extra boost and save time.
    [ramble]
    We always have to upgrade our techniques/processes never get comfortable would be the idea here (you will fall behind) a little heads up to the new comers, lurking, change is not always good but necessary.[/ramble end]