Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ogre Character

This is a Ogre model i created a while back, I used Maya, Photoshop and Zbrush, please comment what you think and any feedback you have. :)

ogre_3d_character_by_clenchingskunk-d5e928n.jpg

Replies

• ClenchingSkunk
  • ClenchingSkunk
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Oh no, your uvs! So much opportunity for optimization! Also, your eyes on the texture sheet are huge compared to the face, which should probably be bigger. Skin texture could use some more colour variation...and he looks really unhappy :P
  • ClenchingSkunk
    Thanks for replying! :D the UV's are not perfect but I didn't have anything else to add, one good thing is I could add more clothes weapons ect with the space. And yeah I s'pose he does look unhappy :P I will work on my UVing.
  • OtrickP
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 13
    Hey hey, Nice start.

^^ He was commenting on the space used for your existing model. You need to optimize that space the get the most out of your textures. find appropriate scale and pack as much as you can. It's poor technique and bad practice to have lots of empty UV space regardless of the model complexity.
  • ClenchingSkunk
    Thanks OtrickP! and yeah I get that he was talking about the space and I know where I went wrong, and I get what your saying about the scale of the UV's and packing it all in, im sorry if im a bit slow, ive been doing this for two years so im reasonably new, thanks for the criticism it will help me a lot! :D
  • OtrickP
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 13
    Nooo worries, that's why were all here right :) To get better and help our self's!

The anatomy clears pretty well, good balance too. I think if you add some subtle tone changes in the skin and a gradient to the whole piece it will create a better focal point and create some more depth.
  • ClenchingSkunk
    Cheers! and that's good advise definitely have a go at sorting the UV's and Texture, and you got that right that's why we are all here!
  • tac0m
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Like they mentioned before you could have made your uv islands bigger but you could have really just split your uvs down the centre of your model and mirrored them. Would have gotten A LOT more space
  • pjl
    Hey, nice start, something seem to be wrong correct me if I am wrong! The head should be bigger cause if you look his hand are a lot bigger than his head and his foot too. It is like if you start top to down = small to big. But you need to take a look at your proportion.
  • ClenchingSkunk
    tac0m, yeah I have used this technique before and hasn't given me great results, but im open to trying this again, thanks for the criticism.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    The UVs aren't the fanciest and they waste a bit of your space, but I think that should be the lesser of your concerns at the moment. It's the anatomy that's most worrisome. Now I always hate saying it, because it's true for all character artists that they should continually work on their anatomy, but I think you're really still at the stage where there's not really much point in working on your UV skills because the shoddy shape of the body will bring it down anyway. Part of it can be done very simply through looking at yourself: just how long is my finger compared to the palm of my hand? Just how wide are my heels?

I've also got a suspicion that you don't use ZBrush much for large scale shapes, since a lot of areas look like they come straight out of subdivision modeling.
  • ClenchingSkunk
    Cheers for commenting, and I know its not as good as a lot of work here, and I am trying hard to improve that's why im posting here, and I did purposely make the hands larger and the legs longer, but I struggle to see how the anatomy can be wrong on a fictional creature :P but thanks for your opinion and am trying to improve my modelling all round, from UVing to researching and practising anatomy, thanks :)
  • tristanCarter
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    Anatomy is important to structure a level of believability by your audience in games movies etc. Take for example the cave troll in Lord of the Rings: Fellowship. While it is a completely make believe creature many of it's forms are grounded in basic anatomy and muscle understanding. So if you go and rewatch that scene in Lord of the Rings and freeze it at some good shots, You'll notice many of the things Zwebbie mentioned such as the size ratio between the fingers and the palm, the width of the base of the heel compared to the foot. The size of wrists compared to the brachio and extensors. It is never a bad idea to utilize basic anatomy to your advantage in creating fictional creatures be it human, horse, or other forms of animal anatomy.

Below I took your image and circled some of the areas where the anatomy is weak.
    ogre_edit.jpg

Also, do a search on deviantart, google etc for ogre and see what you come up with. Some of the great artists out there like Paul Bonner etc have some great images depicting "fantasy" anatomy of creatures such as ogres, trolls and goblins that may help you with your character.
  • ClenchingSkunk
    Thank you so much! this is a BIG help! thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. Whilst doing this character I did it without much reference or research, what you've said has really highlighted the need to, and you have helped me understand what specificity I did wrong in terms of anatomy and what Zweebie meant. Thank you again, ill take all this on board and keep trying to improve! :D
  • tristanCarter
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    No problem, I'm glad I could help. A couple other things that should help improve your overall design would be to revisit the eyes and lips on the face. He's lacking the folds on the upper eyelid as well as the Lacrimal/tear duct area. When I think of ogre/troll I think of nice big folds and creases, more skin and fat around the face etc. Also, the nasal labial fold is a must have, which you have a hint at with the pronounced cheeks, however you should definitely go in and define that more.

I hope most of this helps. Just practice as much as you can every day and you'll see your results change drastically within a month.
  • ClenchingSkunk
    I Think I definitely need practice and I will continue to work at improving, and yes the folds would give it more believable look as well sorting the anatomy, im gonna give it a go and improve the model thanks a lot for the comments, big help.
  • Dazz3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    Can I also suggest, centre of gravity. For me, its hugely important in having a believable standing pose or suggesting movement. If you want a good standing pose, you must have the centre of gravity, over the characters feet, and likewise if you want to show movement such a running, or leaning, you need have the CoG off to where the movement is taking the character. Yours at the moment, slightly looks like he is leaning back, his legs are bent but his back is straight, making him look like he is slightly leaning back. Does that make sense?

Edit: Actually, looking at it, the pose isnt so bad, back is bent a small amount, although maybe a wider leg stance would look better?
  • ClenchingSkunk
    thanks for commenting Dazz3r, and I totally agree, although I do a lot of animation so don't normally pose a model until rigged, thanks for the comments though next time I upload I'll make sure its a nice pose :)
  • Dazz3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    thanks for commenting Dazz3r, and I totally agree, although I do a lot of animation so don't normally pose a model until rigged, thanks for the comments though next time I upload I'll make sure its a nice pose :)
    Just re-read my post.. sorry if it came across as a little patronising dude, wasnt intentional :/
  • ClenchingSkunk
    I don't think it was :P I'm open to criticism, just want to improve :D